Friday, June 1, 2012

Not I But Christ

Our Daily Bread

'The ability to look beyond our disappointments is essential for followers of Christ. Our focus determines how we face the victories and defeats in life. “If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth” (Col. 3:1-2). This way of thinking looks to Christ, rather than our achievements, for significance and validation. We seek Him, not success.  When we strive for excellence and give our best effort, losing hurts, but it doesn’t have to harm us. The key is where we set our minds and hearts.' —David McCaslan

My Utmost For His Highest
“Behold, O My people, I will open your graves . . .” (Ezekiel 37:12). When God wants to show you what human nature is like separated from Himself, He shows it to you in yourself. If the Spirit of God has ever given you a vision of what you are apart from the grace of God (and He will only do this when His Spirit is at work in you), then you know that in reality there is no criminal half as bad as you yourself could be without His grace. My “grave” has been opened by God and “I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells” (Romans 7:18). God’s Spirit continually reveals to His children what human nature is like apart from His grace.’ CHAMBERS

I think that one of the greatest dangers for Christians is for us to start thinking of ourselves as ‘good people’. Taking on an attitude that we are not like those other people … the sinners … From time to time I will be reminded that my feet are made of clay … that it is not me but Christ in me … Galatians 2:20 … not I but Christ in me … the life I live .. I live by faith … Ephesians 2:8-9 … It’s not of works … not because of my effort or ability ….. I am who I am because of Jesus .. not because of my intelligence .. my experience … if there is any good in me .. it is because of what God has done and is doing in me …

This is not about coming down on yourself … but there is a danger that we will begin to think that we have got this “Christian thing” together.  That we really don’t need to ‘study’ any more.  We have graduated.  At 61 years old I find that … I am still studying .. still learning … I talked yesterday with a man who installs solar panels.  I told him that I need to understand .. to learn about … the science behind the solar panels … how they work and if they would be the best solution for the orphanage we are building.  I asked him because I realize my limitations … and like Dirty Harry said “A man has got to know his limitations!”

As we live this new life of ours … we must always be aware of our limitations and remember that God is unlimited … He is the Source of the power that has given us this new life.  We must not lose our spiritual perspective on life … to understand that most of the world is headed for hell.  That many Christians are living defeated lives… trying to be good and do good .. in their own strength.  We have opportunities every day … to share with Good News with someone who is without hope … and encourage a Brother or Sister who has lost perspective.  To be salt and light in our world.  And from time to time … we, ourselves,  will need to be reminded that we are sinners saved by grace .. that our hope is built on nothing less than Jesus and His righteousness.

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: