Friday, June 15, 2012

Looking in the Wrong Places

My Utmost For His Highest

Also . . . add to your faith . . . —2 Peter 1:5

‘It is difficult for us to do the “adding” that Peter mentioned here. We say we do not expect God to take us to heaven on flowery beds of ease, and yet we act as if we do! I must realize that my obedience even in the smallest detail of life has all of the omnipotent power of the grace of God behind it. If I will do my duty, not for duty’s sake but because I believe God is engineering my circumstances, then at the very point of my obedience all of the magnificent grace of God is mine through the glorious atonement by the Cross of Christ.’ CHAMBERS

I must be careful that as I live my life in Christ, I do not think that everything in my life is supposed to ‘go right’.  If I am sick .. God will heal me … if I need money .. God will provide it … if I ______________…. You can fill in the blank …. Romans 8:28 says that God causes all things to work together for good … no matter what the circumstances are, God will use them for His purpose.  Are you living for God or for yourself?  If you buy a car, it helps you go from place to place … if you buy a phone, it helps you communicate with other people … if you receive Jesus as Lord … you focus suddenly changes .. it is no longer about you .. but about God .. the One who saved you … but unfortunately often we treat God like we treat the car and the phone … it is useful to us, when we need it .. otherwise, it will sit in the driveway or on the kitchen counter .. until we need it again.

What is it that you need most?  Peace in your heart … assurance that you are going to be OK … If we are walking in obedience to the Word and under the leading of God’s Spirit, we can have those things … they are the fruit of our relationship with God … they transcend our circumstances … not matter what comes our way .. we live with confidence … because our confidence is not based upon what is happening to us or not happening to us at the moment, but on the unchanging, all knowing, and loving Creator God.

I must confess that as I am typing these words, I am reflecting on my own life … we all need to be reminded to not trust in ourselves, but in God.  To not look to the world for answers .. Jesus said Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27)

Let’s look to Him ….

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: