Friday, June 8, 2012

This Little Light of Mine

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved. —Acts 16:31

My Utmost For His Highest

‘When you know that you should do something and you do it, immediately you know more. Examine where you have become sluggish, where you began losing interest spiritually, and you will find that it goes back to a point where you did not do something you knew you should do. You did not do it because there seemed to be no immediate call to do it. But now you have no insight or discernment, and at a time of crisis you are spiritually distracted instead of spiritually self-controlled. It is a dangerous thing to refuse to continue learning and knowing more.’ CHAMBERS

Do you remember a time when you were fully – totally committed to Jesus?  Perhaps you still are today.  But I have found that most often, the love  .. the affection .. .we felt when we first believed and received … becomes dulled by the cares of this world.  There was a point in time when we knew we should do something … and we checked the Spirit within us.  We said no, not now .. maybe later .. we gave preference to another call in our life … one that our flesh, our old nature, preferred, even longed for.  It is a spiritual battle that took place … we saw it as a simple decision .. no big deal … but in doing so we veered  onto another path .. that path led us further and further away from the path that God had set our feet on. And the longer we traveled on it, the fainter the voice of the Spirit until one day .. we couldn’t hear the Spirit at all.

This is what the Bible has to say about that ….

Galatians 5:16-17  I (Paul) say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.  (17)  For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

Romans 8:5-6  For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.  (6)  For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Our faith is supposed to be more than fire insurance … As we live out our lives, we are to be salt and light to the world … our lives are supposed to point others to a loving God and a living Savior.  But if we are indistinguishable from those who are lost … how can we stand out among them …

Matthew 5:13-16  "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.  (14)  "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.  (15)  Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.  (16)  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

As you read this, you might think, this is not me, then I say Praise the Lord .. but there may be some who are troubled in their heart when they read this .. perhaps even become miffed at the words or me.  To you I say … strain to hear the Spirit whisper in your ear … wake up from your spiritual slumber … remember the day of your salvation and set your feet back on the path … you have a loving Father who longs to walk in the garden with you … “and He walks with me and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own, and the joy we share, as we tarry there, none other has ever known.  He speaks and the sound of His voice is so sweet that the birds stop their singing … “

And how do you do that …

Psalms 119:103-107  How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!  (104)  Through Your precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way.  (105)  Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.  (106)  I have sworn and confirmed That I will keep Your righteous judgments.  (107)  I am afflicted very much; Revive me, O LORD, according to Your word.

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: