Thursday, June 14, 2012

Who is in Control?

My Utmost For His Highest

‘Am I preventing God from doing things in my circumstances by saying that it will only serve to hinder my fellowship with Him? How irrelevant and disrespectful that is! It does not matter what my circumstances are. I can be as much assured of abiding in Jesus in any one of them as I am in any prayer meeting. It is unnecessary to change and arrange my circumstances myself. Our Lord’s inner abiding was pure and unblemished. He was at home with God wherever His body was. He never chose His own circumstances, but was meek, submitting to His Father’s plans and directions for Him. Just think of how amazingly relaxed our Lord’s life was! But we tend to keep God at a fever pitch in our lives. We have none of the serenity of the life which is “hidden with Christ in God” (Colossians 3:3).’ CHAMBERS

James 4:13-15  ‘Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit";  (14)  whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.  (15)  Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that."

Si Bondye Vle – ‘If the Lord wills’.  I hear that often among Christians here in Haiti.  I almost typed “Haitian Christians” but corrected myself.  You see .. since we are ‘new creatures in Christ’ (2 Corinthians 5:17).  We are Christians … first … everything else about is secondary … all of the natural distinctions are subordinate to who we are in Christ .. 1 John 3:1  ‘Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.’ .. now back to the main point …

I find that I often want to define my circumstances … what would make me happy?  Give me peace?  Conquer my fears or worries?  Then I find myself orchestrating my circumstances … yes like a conductor of an orchestra … so that the music played will be to my satisfaction. And look out buddy if someone misses a note or is out of tune ….  Does that sound like you a little bit?  Does it ever work?  Do you find peace? Are your fears conquered? Or do you find that when one is beaten down, another one rises up?  Do you sometimes think, “People wouldn’t be so bad if they just did what I wanted them to do.”?

Paul said the he had learned to be content in no matter what circumstance he found himself in.  (Philippians 4:10-14)  Contentment is not found by controlling my circumstances .. it is found by trusting God. (Proverbs 3:5,6) A great picture of this is when the disciples were on a boat with Jesus in Matthew 4  The boat is sinking and Jesus is sleeping.  You would have thought those guys would have had a ‘clue’.  Look at Jesus .. if we were going to drown, why would He be sleeping .. oh, maybe because we are not going to drown.  We are looking at our circumstances in terms of our capacity to control them … and our conclusion?  We are done … stick us with a fork!  But God … those are two of the most powerful words in the Bible … But God was in control … they just need to trust Him … ‘He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.’ (v 26)

And so … how about you … are you looking at the storms of life .. thinking, all hope is lost .. or are you looking to Jesus .. the source of Hope!  The darker the night, the brighter the light. (Who said that?  I did) Let your light shine in your circumstances today .. and bring glory to God.

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: