Friday, October 21, 2022

Getting Control Of The Natural - Supernaturally

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever." - 1 John 2:15-17

The Limbic system (that part of our brains composed of the Hypothalamus, Amygdala, Thalamus, and Hippocampus) is responsible for processing memories and regulating emotions. The Prefrontal Cortex is located in the front half of the brain. It is responsible for our focus, planning, impulse control, emotional control, empathy, judgment, and insight. 

Let's put this in context of 1 John 2:15-17. What part of the brain do you think processes the temptation to sin? The emotional part or the logical part. OK, I will assume you answered emotional. And what part of the brain has to do with understanding truth and obeying truth even in the face of your emotions saying to do otherwise? Defy truth and satisfy the flesh. Yep! The Prefrontal Cortex. Now a question you might be asking is, "So what?"

"This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” - Joshua 1:8-9

What part of the brain do you use to meditate, focus, on the Truth? Yep! You got it.

"How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word. With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You. Blessed are You, O Lord! Teach me Your statutes. With my lips I have declared All the judgments of Your mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, As much as in all riches. I will meditate on Your precepts, And contemplate Your ways." - Psalm 119:10-15

Same thing right?  I have often said that you cannot deal with an emotional person with logic. We must train ourselves to deal with sin with the Prefrontal Cortex and not with the Limbic system. Make sense? How do you do that? Read those verses again. The limbic system is weak and will deceive you. It makes you vulnerable. The Hypothalamus controls hormones which affect - body temperature, blood pressure, hunger and thirst, sense of fullness when eating, mood, sex drive, and sleep. Do you see the connection with 1 John? 

However - if you are a Christian - you have been sealed by the Spirit of Truth - the spiritual Helper. You have supernatural abilities to deal with temptation. To take control of natural impulses. Paul talks about what it was like before he was a Christian in Romans chapter 7.

"For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!" - Romans 7:22-25

We have been delivered by faith in Jesus Christ.  

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: