Thursday, October 6, 2022

Managing My Mouth - Does What I Say Matter to God?

"We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check." - James 3:2

I heard a story once about the impact of what we say.  There was a man, we will call him Jack, who spoke against another person, we will call him Sam, - defaming Sam based upon hearsay. People respected and trusted Jack  and accepted what he said about Sam as true. Later Jack learned that what he had said about Sam was untrue. He went to Sam and asked for forgiveness and asked what he could do to undo the harm his words had caused Sam. Sam led Jack to the top of a hill behind Sam's house carrying a feather pillow. Once at the top of the hill Sam cut the pillow open and shook the feathers out into the wind. The feathers were scattered all over the hill and some even caught the wind and sailed out of sight. Handing Jack the empty pillow case,  Sam told Jack, "Now, pick up all of the feathers and put them back in the pillow." To which Jack replied, "It will be impossible to put back the feathers from every place they have landed." Sam said, "Yes and in the same way it will be impossible to take back the words you spoke from the ears of everyone who heard them."

My tongue directs where I go in my relationship with others. Which is why I must watch what I say. And it is not just the words, but the tone I use and my body language as well.

"When we put bits in the mouths of horses ... we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go." James 3:3-4

My tongue can destroy the relationships that I have and crush the spirits of those around me who look up to me. 

"How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell." - James 3:5-6

"From the fruit of a man's mouth his stomach is satisfied; he is satisfied by the yield of his lips. Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits." - Proverbs 18:20-21

My tongue reveals who I am - my true nature - spiritual or carnal.

"With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water" - James 3:9-12

The reason I have a problem with my tongue is that I have a problem with my heart,

"For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks." - Matthew. 12:34 

After Jesus called the crowd to him, he said, 'Listen and understand what I am saying.  It is not what people put into their mouths that makes them unclean. It is what comes out of their mouths that makes them unclean.'” - Matt 15:10-11  

So what is the solution? We need a new heart! And if we are already born again, then we need to repent and, once again, yield our hearts to God by faith.

"Rid yourself of all the offenses you have committed and get a new heart and a new spirit!" - Ezekiel 18:31 

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new”  - 2 Cor 5:17 

Ask God every day to help you tame your tongue. To help you manage your mouth!

"Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips." - Psalm 141:3 

“Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer”   -  Psalms 19:14 

“Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life." - Proverbs 4:23 

God created us with two eyes, two ears and one mouth. That should be a hint. Watch, listen and then speak if necessary. Our words should be like God's word. To encourage not discourage.

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" - 2 Timothy 3:16

Two people can say the same thing, in one case the person's motive is to tear down and the other it is to build up. The difference is the motivation of your heart.

"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry." - James 1:19

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things; and the God of peace shall be with you.” Philippians 4:8-9  

Be careful little tongue what you say!

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone



No comments: