Thursday, October 27, 2022

Silence Is Golden But Sometimes Difficult

"Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked. “How can I,” he said, “unless someone explains it to me?” So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. This is the passage of Scripture the eunuch was reading: “He was led like a sheep to the slaughter, and as a lamb before its shearer is silent, so he did not open his mouth. In his humiliation he was deprived of justice. Who can speak of his descendants? For his life was taken from the earth.” The eunuch asked Philip, “Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?” Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus." Acts 8:30-35

Of course this is the story about the Spirit leading Phillip into the desert to meet with a man in a Chariot. The scripture the man was reading was about Jesus, the Christ, but he needed Phillip to help him understand that. Jesus silent before His accusers. 

Some years back, I was accused of doing things that I had not done. Everyone was shocked by it because they new the truth. Frankly I was at a loss.  Oh, I could have got into the "military mode" and admittedly was tempted. But, instead, I turned to a good friend and spiritual mentor to seek his advice.  He was aware of the situation. "What should I do?", I asked. He said, "Do nothing." "What should I say?", I asked. He said, "Say nothing, the Lord will vindicate you." I followed his advice and I was eventually vindicated.  What I came to understand later was the my friend was encouraging me to be like Jesus. Defending yourself by arguing with or confronting those who are speaking lies is futile. They cannot be reasoned with and certainly are not interested in a spiritual solution. Where silence is the best response - it is difficult when you have been wounded. Has that ever happened to you? Remember that the solution is spiritual and not a matter of doing your best to do the right thing. 

"Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption." - 1 Corinthians 1:26-30

So guess what. Just the other day, a friend was telling me that they had been unjustly accused and wondered how to respond. Any guesses what I told them?

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: