Tuesday, October 11, 2022

When Life Fades

All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower fades, but the word of the Lord remains forever.” - 1 Peter 1:25

That verse is actually a reference to Isaiah 40:6-7.  It was used in a sermon this past Sunday. Of all that was said that morning, this verse got my attention. We are to be like the prophet Samuel with respect to wanting to hear God speak by His Spirit.  

"And the Lord called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli and said, “Here I am, for you called me.” Then Eli perceived that the Lord was calling the boy. Therefore Eli said to Samuel, “Go, lie down, and if he calls you, you shall say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant hears.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place. And the Lord came and stood, calling as at other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant hears.” - 1 Samuel 3:8-10

Do you believe that God would speak to you through a sermon, the scripture, or other Christians? You should because He does. The question really is not "Does God speak to us?", but "Are we listening for His voice and will we receive what He says to us?"  Like Samuel. 

When I heard the scripture from 1 Peter, in my mind, I substituted the word "flower" with "life". The question that came to me was, "When my life has faded what will remain?" Only what has eternal value, is the answer. Our daughter, Mandi, proud of my service in the Army, decided that I should have all of my Army memorabilia on display in our guest room. So out of the closet and attic it came. And on to the walls it went. When I was in the Army, career soldiers often had what was referred to as their "I love me wall" where all of the going away mementoes were on display. A reminder of the various places they had served. And what does this have to do with 1 Peter? When I die - and I will one day, the significance of those things hanging on the wall will fade. In fact that process has already started - their significance might linger for one more generation in the hearts of our children.  What do you have hanging on the "walls" of your heart?

Don Moen wrote a song, "When it has all been said and done." 

"When it's all been said and done. There is just one thing that matters. Did I do my best to live for Truth. Did I live my life for You? All my treasures will mean nothing. Only what I've done for Love's reward will stand the test of time. You're my life when life is gone. When it's all been said and done."

Is that what you want to be said about your life? That is what I want to be said of mine - that my life glorified God. That I lived for Truth. That I lived my life for Him. Will you leave an eternal legacy when your flower fades? As the story goes, a man was looking at a tombstone. It read "14 August 1943 - 27 November 2021". He commented to his friend, the first date and the last date are not what is significant. It is the "dash" that tells the story and whether that life made a difference.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: