Tuesday, October 11, 2022

C'mon - Cut Your Brother And Sister Some Slack

"Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?  Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." - Matthew 7:3-5 

I am certain you are familiar with these verses - but this is not what you might think it is about. There was a man - a Christian - who was known for his faith in a community where we once lived in. He was set in his ways, like most of us are, but he was a kind man. He knew the Bible and was faithful to attend church. On one Sunday evening, the church we attended invited a speaker - someone well known in the State. My friend apparently knew him  - I don't know how well.  The whole time that the man spoke, my friend winked at him, clicked his tongue and point his finger at him. Subtly, but pointed it all the same.  The speaker seemed to pay no attention to him.  He did not even acknowledge him with a nod or a wave. Well, frankly my friends actions disheartened me. It was obvious that he wanted to be recognized and through that recognition elevated in stature among the "common folk" for being a friend of the speaker. I think the word I was looking for was disappointment. 

Ok so now Matthew 7. I was convicted by my attitude toward my friend. Recognition by the local community was obviously important to him. He wanted to be acknowledged by the speaker but was not. It backfired on him. I have told people in the past that the speck I see in someone else is actually a reflection of the log in me. Psychologists call it "projection" when we project our own faults onto other people. It is easier to deal with your problems in someone else's life. Like I was doing with my friend. Rather than have compassion for him - obviously there was something in him that he struggled with, I judged him. This is not about recognizing sin when we see it, but more of not condemning someone when we, ourselves, are not without blame.

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you." - Matthew 7:1-2

We don't know what is going on in someone's life. What motivates them. What they struggle with. But God does. God loved us while we were yet sinners.  He showered grace, mercy and love on us. In spite of the fact that we were His enemies. He expects for us to do the same. The second greatest commandment that Jesus spoke of in Matthew 22, Luke 10 and Mark 12 is to love others. That love is fruit born from the seeds of the love we have for the Father.  

Even as I was drafting this post I was made aware of a situation - not too different from the one I shared. I was concerned about certain people not doing what they had committed to when I learned that each were struggling with significant issues of life. In Army discipline it is called "matters of extenuation and mitigation". Considerations that would temper the judgement and punishment given for the violations made. So it seems that there are some things that I am slow to learn. Lord help me! How about you?

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: