Thursday, February 1, 2024

Laying Your Life Down For Your High Calling

"But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection" - Philippians 3:7-10

Background. Each day I ask the Lord to show me what I should write in these devotions. I have not master plan for the year, month or even week. Typically, I will write a draft the night before, and then finish it in the morning before 6:00 am. Last night Martie asked me, as she often does, if I had written my BLOG which I had not. I said, "I don't know what I am supposed to write, I will wait until the morning." I don't write these with the notion that they are necessarily profound or even memorable. I write them because I believe I am supposed to. No expectation. I had no idea that I would be doing this in 2024. 

I find that is the way the Christian life is. Following the leading of the spirit and not our own designs on life. I recall meeting with my Army assignments officer many years ago. John Kennedy - no not that John Kennedy. I happened to be in Maryland and made an appointment to see Him.  When I did I showed him my plan for my career. Actually 3 possibilities. He smiled - normally it was him telling the officer what the options would be. He said, "All three of these are possible."  I had it all figured out. But then one day, some years later the Lord spoke - not audibly - "Leave the Army, you are sacrificing your family for the military." I knew it was the Lord - so I did. 

"The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." - Proverbs 16:9

So fast forward to this past summer. We are in Florida responding to Hurricane Ian.  Martie and me in an RV in a field next to a pond with an alligator in it. We were building the same sheds we built in Mississippi during aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.  I met a man, Bart, and we were having a conversation about how Pathfinder Mission became Pathfinder Mission.  I told him about God calling me out of my Army career at 17 1/2 years - just shy of retirement. Frankly some had question why I would do that - it made no sense, practically. I would add in the wisdom of man.

I told Bart that had I not left the military, I would not be speaking to him in a work trailer in a field next to a pond with an alligator in it in Fort Myers, Florida on a very hot day. God does not ask every Christian to do the same thing. There are many faithful Christians who have served many more years than I did.  But - the Lord has called us all to lay our devotion to the things of this world down, To treat them like Paul did - as being worthless compared to our high calling in Christ. 

Many people have been amazed at the life that Martie and I have lived since we left the military. My response is always this. "Everything we have done has been by the power of providence of God. The only credit we can take is that we said "Yes Lord". I will close this with a song reference.

"I'll say yes, Lord, yes. To your will and to your way 

I'll say yes, Lord, yes. I will trust you and obey

When your Spirit speaks to me. With my whole heart I'll agree

And my answer will be yes, Lord, yes." - Shirley Caesar, "Yes Lord Yes"

That all He wants from you as well.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone




No comments: