Monday, February 26, 2024

Positive Transfer Of The Control

"When the men of Israel saw that they were in trouble (for the people were hard pressed), the people hid themselves in caves and in holes and in rocks and in tombs and in cisterns, and some Hebrews crossed the fords of the Jordan to the land of Gad and Gilead. Saul was still at Gilgal, and all the people followed him trembling. He waited seven days, the time appointed by Samuel. But Samuel did not come to Gilgal, and the people were scattering from him. So, Saul said, “Bring the burnt offering here to me, and the peace offerings.” And he offered the burnt offering. As soon as he had finished offering the burnt offering, behold, Samuel came. And Saul went out to meet him and greet him. Samuel said, “What have you done?” And Saul said, “When I saw that the people were scattering from me, and that you did not come within the days appointed, and that the Philistines had mustered at Michmash, I said, ‘Now the Philistines will come down against me at Gilgal, and I have not sought the favor of the Lord.’ So, I forced myself, and offered the burnt offering.” And Samuel said to Saul, “You have done foolishly. You have not kept the command of the Lord your God, with which he commanded you." 1 Samuel 13:6-13

If you remember what happened next, God removed Saul's anointing as king and chose David a shepherd boy in his place. The consequence of disobedience. But that is not the reason I shared this story. My point today is that it is all too easy to trust in ourselves and not in God when we are facing adversity.  I remember a story my instructor pilot (IP) told me. I was learning to fly the Chinook - CH-47. He had been in Iran, during the Shah's regime (a long time ago) training Iranian pilots to fly the Chinook. There was an incident in the aircraft and the Iranian student pilot took his hands off of the controls and said "Allah wills!" to which the IP replied "He may will that for you but not for me!" Then he took control of the helicopter and landed it safely. (Ok, I debated about adding this bit of trivial. We are taught to do a positive three-way transfer of controls. Pilot not flying says "I have the controls. Pilot flying says "You have the controls" visually checking to see the other pilot does indeed have their hands and feet on the controls. The pilot taking control of the aircraft repeats "I have the controls.")

We are faced with decisions like this every day. Do I do this myself or do I trust God. Someone once said, "Do all you can and leave the rest to God". Maybe that is what Saul was thinking. But I don't think so.  God sees the heart. Saul was halfhearted with respect to his devotion to God. Samuel had told Him what God said about the matter. Saul looked at his circumstances and feared men more than he feared God. I don't think it was about the sacrifice, but it was about Saul's lack of faith and his disobedience. 

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones." - Proverbs 3:5-8

Those are easy words to read but difficult when you are faced with intensity of life. Have you transferred control of your life to God. Is He the pilot in command or merely the copilot watching you fly. 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: