Friday, February 23, 2024

It's Not How You Feel

"These things I remember, as I pour out my soul: how I would go with the throng and lead them in procession to the house of God with glad shouts and songs of praise, a multitude keeping festival. Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God." - Psalm 42:4-5

Our feelings can run away with us. Cause us to imagine things, say things, and do things that are contrary to our new natures but oh so consistent with our old ones. It is all too easy to get caught up in the moment and forget that we know whom we have believed and were persuaded that He is able to do that which we have committed unto Him until that Day.

"Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these." - Galatians 5:19-21

As quick as the blink of an eye or the snap of a finger and our old nature is raging. It is as if we never knew Jesus at all. Oh, this new life is a strange one is it not?  Just when I thought I was over the struggle, my old nature raises its ugly head. So, what happened? It is really simple. I became self-confident. Or put another way, confident in myself.

"My son do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So, you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones." - Proverbs 3:1-7

Sin is crouching at the door (Genesis 4:7) waiting for the opportunity. We must always be on our guard. So long as we are living life on earth, our new nature will be in conflict with our old nature. Perhaps it is God's way of keeping Him in our focus.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: