Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Knowing But Not Going

 "So, whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin." - James 4:17

When this scripture came to my mind, I was reminded of this quote by A.W. Tosier

A whole new generation of Christians has come up believing that it is possible to 'accept' Christ without forsaking the world. - A.W. Tosier

In other words, we know what the Bible says living our new life and forsaking the world and its ways, but we choose to defer to our culture instead - agreeing with one another that it is not a problem. Say otherwise and you might be accused of being legalistic or worse, out of touch with people today. Actually, the exact opposite is true. It concerns me that Christians are so eager to embrace their culture and its practices over obedience to the Word of God. The Bible is not a book of suggestions. 

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

That truth has not fallen out of date. That truth has not become obsolete. As much as some would like it to be. Perhaps there should be a new version of the Bible - The New Redacted Bible - The Key to Guilt Free Living.  Just choose those verses that you will not abide by and blacken them out with a Sharpy. 

I once heard someone say, "The Bible will keep you from Sin and Sin will keep you from the Bible. 

"I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statutes!" - Psalm 119:11-12

Christians today do not have a greater or new truth - the greatest and old truth remains. Truth does not change. And neither does our struggle to obey it.

"I [Jesus] have given them your word [Father God], and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.  As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me." - John17:14-21

"but also for those who will believe in me through their word" That means us - those who centuries later will place our faith in Jesus because of the Word of God. 

Oh Christian, you walk on a slippery slope if you embrace your culture and its wisdom. 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones." - Proverbs 3:5-8

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: