Sunday, January 14, 2024

Taking The Oath To Follow Jesus

"if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." - Romans 10:9

To become a Jesus follower requires a "Profession of Faith" that all lost people must make in order to be saved. To be born again by the Spirit. You may be familiar with something called the "Sinner's Prayer".  There are a number variations of it. But all them contain the core truth found in Romans 10:9. This is one example. You might know one that you prefer.

"Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior. In Your Name. Amen." (Billy Graham)

When a person surrenders their will to God and finds salvation by faith they become a Jesus follower. Their priorities change from loving themselves to loving God first and others next. Their personal benefit is subordinate to everyone else. Jesus followers offer themselves as living sacrifices to God (Romans 12:1-2) Jesus said that - 

"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:13

That is what Jesus followers are to do. Well, that reminded me of the oath I, along with a multitude of others, before and after me, took when I joined the military - it applies to all branches of the armed forces. 

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. (So help me God)."

Everyone who joins the military puts everyone else ahead of themselves. They are willing to be put in harms way for our country and the people of the United States - no matter who they are, race, color creed or moral perspective.  You might think of that oath as a secular equivalent to Romand 10:9 and John 15:13. In a way, they laid down their lives for others the moment they took the oath.

I wrote about a veteran previously who suggested that they had been in harm's way when they had not been.  But I must also add that although that veteran was not called to direct conflict, I am confident that he was ready to go. He took the oath. Just like his other brothers and sisters in arms. I knew some who wanted to see the "whites of the eyes" of the enemy and others who were willing to go where their orders took them. in harm's way or not.  And for that they all have the undying gratitude of this nation.

I have had the honor of leading a military funeral detail (coffin bearers, the rifle party, and a bugler) at a number of veterans' funerals when I was on active duty.  These are the words said when I presented the flag to the family member, often the widow.

"On behalf of the President of the United States, [the service they were part of] and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one’s honorable and faithful service." 

But back to the point of following Jesus. Following requires personal sacrifice. Willingness to sacrifice requires commitment to the One who has saved us. Jesus followers are set apart from the world. In the military we made a distinction between those in the military and civilians. As Jesus followers we make a distinction between the saved and the lost. Just as I did not expect a civilian to do what I did because they were not in the military, don't expect the lost to do what you do. They lack the Spirit of God. I will leave you with Romans 12:2

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: