Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Following Jesus - What It Looks Like

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." - Galatians 2:20

Following Jesus means that I am living by faith. I believe that Jesus bore the penalty of my sin - suffered, died, and rose again in eternal victory over sin and death. Mortal death meant that I was destined to be eternally separated from the God who created me. But now, because of Jesus - 

"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" - Romans 8:1

And yet still, there are a number of reasons why I might find it difficult to follow Him. None of them are good ones. Following Jesus means that my priorities must shift heavenward. My relationship with the Father must take first place in my life. How I relate to the world changes and is derived from my relationship with the Father. I must put the "old man" on the cross. I must abandon my affection for the things of this world. If they prove to be contentious toward God and His will, and many will, then they must be sacrificed on the altar of my heart.

"You cannot have Christ if you will not serve him. If you take Christ, you must take him and all his qualities. He must not simply take him as a friend, but you must also take him as your master. If you were to become his disciple, you must also become his servant. I hope that no one fights against that truth. It is certainly one of the greatest delights on earth to serve our Lord and this is to be our joyful vocation, even in heaven itself. - Learn this, then, all of you who would like to have Christ as your savior, that you must be willing to serve him. We are not saved by serving him, but we are saved to serve him. From the moment we’re saved we ought to live in a service of our Lord. If we refuse to be his servants, we are not saved, for we evidently still remain the servants of self and the servants of Satan. " - Charles H Spurgeon, Following Christ.

Charles Spurgeon said it plainly and perhaps, for some, painfully. There is no halfway for Jesus followers. It is all or nothing. We must abandon all affection for the things of this world. Just like Paul.

"But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ" - Philippians 3:6-8

Do you find that unsettling? Disturbing perhaps? Extreme even.  Well, that is the nature of our new life. That is what it means to follow Jesus. I will leave you with a couple more verses to think about.

"I [Paul] appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." - Romans 12:1-2

In other words - Follow Jesus!

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone



No comments: