Friday, July 4, 2014

Standing Firm In The Face Of What Would Make Us Fear

My Utmost For His Highest
 
“Do not fret— it only causes harm” —Psalm 37:8
 
‘[…] It’s easy to say, “Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him” (Psalm 37:7) until our own little world is turned upside down and we are forced to live in confusion and agony like so many other people. Is it possible to “rest in the Lord” then? If this “Do not” doesn’t work there, then it will not work anywhere. […] Resting in the Lord is not dependent on your external circumstances at all, but on your relationship with God Himself. Worrying always results in sin. […]  Our Lord never worried and was never anxious, because His purpose was never to accomplish His own plans but to fulfill God’s plans. Fretting is wickedness for a child of God.[…] All our fretting and worrying is caused by planning without God.’ CHAMBERS
 
All of have uncertain times.  We have been afraid of someone or something.  We have faced the death of loved ones.  Maybe our own.  Financial loss. Sickness.  Broken relationships.  Rejection. And then we hear Jesus say “Fear not” (Luke 12:7) “Do not worry” (Matt 6:25-34) “Why did you doubt?”  (Matt 14:31) “Where is your faith?” (Luke 8:25)
 
In each of these of these circumstances .. people were faced with the impossible .. but in the presence of Jesus .. all things are possible.  When I was a young boy, I visited my Dad every other weekend.  He eventually remarried.  Although his background was Episcopal, he and his wife attend a spiritualist church .. a place where mediums would call upon the dead. Of course when I was with him, he took me along.  I can remember that every Sunday they would sing “God I believe.  God I believe.  All things are possible.  God I believe.” As if to convince themselves that they could really communicate with the dead and departed as intercessors.  Of course we know that Jesus is our High Priest and the Holy Spirit is our connection to all things spiritual.  But, the song is true in so much as nothing is impossible for God.  But, it must be consistent with His revelation . .the Word of God … and not contrived to placate our fears and doubts.
 
I suspect that I may overuse Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.”  But, I always seem to be “running into it”. The success of our lives depends upon our being spiritually courageous … you know that courage is not the absence of fear … but action in spite of that which would make you fearful.  The problems are not necessarily going to go away … that someone will still have passed away … the illness may linger … you may lose your home or your car … but God will sustain you through it.
 
“He Knows My Name”  ‘I have a Father.  He calls me His own.  He’ll never leave me.  No matter where I go. He knows my name.  He knows my every thought. He sees each tear that falls.  And He hears me when I call.’
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: