Monday, July 14, 2014

So .. You want to be like Jesus

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘When you are insulted, you must not only not resent it, but you must make it an opportunity to exhibit the Son of God in your life. And you cannot imitate the nature of Jesus— it is either in you or it is not. A personal insult becomes an opportunity for a saint to reveal the incredible sweetness of the Lord Jesus.[…] Never look for righteousness in the other person, but never cease to be righteous yourself. We are always looking for justice, yet the essence of the teaching of the Sermon on the Mount is— Never look for justice, but never cease to give it.’ CHAMBERS
 
Matthew chapter 5 is a difficult chapter for our flesh.  Jesus addresses character traits that spring from our spiritual nature .. not our old nature.  I don’t think there is a person who has not been treated unfairly .. in some hurtful manner at some point in their lives.  The question is, how to respond when it happens.  Our old nature certainly demands retribution .. a response in kind .. we must defend ourselves, mustn’t we?  Read Jesus words …
 
Matthew 5   “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven.”
 
Perhaps the greatest lesson I learned was from a friend who counselled me on how to respond to an injustice.  It was contrary to everything that was crying out within me. My flesh .. old nature .. was ready to devastate the person … instead .. I showed grace and mercy … I remained silent before my accuser … That struggle showed me that I had more pride in me than I had imagined.  It was the application of Matthew 5 living and relating. You want to be more like Jesus?
 
Mark 8:34  “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow Me.”
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: