Monday, August 8, 2022

Speaking The Truth

"Pilate therefore said to Him, “Are You a king then?” Jesus answered, “You say rightly that I am a king. For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.” Pilate said to Him, “What is truth?” - John 18:37-38

As I get older, I find changes at work in me. My eyesight is no longer 20-15 so I can't read signs from afar off.  And my physique? Well let's just say it is like the house that potential buyers visit and the best they can say is "It has good bones!" I can no longer hear a pin drop - unless it is the size of a railroad spike.

Have you noticed how hard it is to find a restaurant where you can have a conversation at a table and hear what is being said by the the people you are dining with? It is not just because of my hearing acuity, the ambient noise can be deafening - so many loud conversations combined with music, ugh! In much the same way, the "noise" of our culture has begun so loud as it drowns out the cry of the Saints. 

Tolerance is the word of the day. Tolerance defined as "you can believe what you want to believe -  your truth, just don't say that the truth that I believe, practice and promote is wrong." If you do you are in danger of being labeled a Hater. 

Pilate challenged Jesus with the word, Truth. For him, truth was relative not absolute. Jesus' truth, Pilate's truth, the Jewish leader's truth, it was all relative. Which truth prevailed depended upon whoever had the most power or influence. Apart from the sovereignty of God, what truth is depends upon who you are talking to and on what foundation you base Truth. 

Have you ever heard the term, "That is the God's honest truth"? You want to know the truth - God has revealed Truth in His written Word [the Bible] and the Living Word [Jesus]. Truth that is revealed by the Spirit of God and is rejected by those who have not been born again. Jesus had something to say about truth?

"I [Jesus] do not pray that You [Father God] should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world." John 17:15-18

"Jesus said to him [Thomas], “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." - John 14:6

It takes the Spirit to understand and know Truth according to the Scriptures and since the world (meaning those who are not Christians) lacks the indwelling of the Spirit of God which happens at the point of salvation, they consider Truth according to the Bible foolishness. 

"But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Corinthians 2:10-14

Now isn't that a dilemma? So what to do. Well, I think that since I am speaking a foreign language to the lost - my most effective testimony will be visual not spoken - walking my talk- the world watching how I live my life. 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: