Sunday, August 21, 2022

Remembering My Past Brought Me To My Knees

"And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.  And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.  However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen." - 1 Timothy 1:12-17

That, of course, is the Apostle Paul. He was looking at his life through the lens of his salvation. His understanding of who he was from God's perspective - not from man's. Oh he had plenty to boast about from man's point of view. 

"Brethren and fathers, hear my defense before you now. And when they heard that he spoke to them in the Hebrew language, they kept all the more silent. Then he said: I am indeed a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, taught according to the strictness of our fathers’ law, and was zealous toward God as you all are today. I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and delivering into prisons both men and women, as also the high priest bears me witness, and all the council of the elders, from whom I also received letters to the brethren, and went to Damascus to bring in chains even those who were there to Jerusalem to be punished." - Acts 22:1-5

He was doing just fine as far as his culture was concerned. And then while on his way to come against Christians in Damascus, he met Jesus. And understanding his past in a new way brought him to his knees.

"And I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?’ So I answered, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said to me, ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting.’ And those who were with me indeed saw the light and were afraid, but they did not hear the voice of Him who spoke to me. So I said, ‘What shall I do, Lord?’ And the Lord said to me, ‘Arise and go into Damascus, and there you will be told all things which are appointed for you to do." - Acts 22:7-10

Do you remember the day that the Lord spoke to you? No one else heard Him - just you. When you understood your need for redemption, for repentance. That the life you were living was all wrong. And your past brought you to your knees. Do you remember? I do. I was busy living my life thinking that was life and I had to do my best to live it as I saw fit. I dabbled in religion, but it was not all that significant to me. I believed there was a God, but He was not personal and certainly not aware of me. But through a course of events .. not enough space for me to share here ... I met Jesus on my road to nowhere. And I suddenly became aware of my need for salvation .. a, I was (spiritually) blind but now I see moment that comes at the point of salvation. 

Does the thought of your old life cause you to thank God for your new life? It does me. We must be careful to not condemn those who walk in darkness - as we once did as well. There is a saying,  'There but for the grace of God go I'. If not for God's grace we would be stumbling in the dark still. Now, knowing such a great salvation, it is our responsibility to be the light in a dark world. 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone




No comments: