Monday, August 22, 2022

Love and Obedience - The Chicken and the Egg

If you love Me, keep My commandments. ... He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.” ... Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me." - John 14:15, 21, 23-24

My expression of my love for God is my obedience. We don't obey God so He will love us. We love Him and the proof is the way we live our lives. Walking in obedience to His Word. Sinless? Uh, no! Sadly. I am convinced that while we are living on this planet we will be plagued by temptation and will continue to sin. But, for we Christians - we have a spiritual insight into the nature of temptation and sin. We do not sin so grace may abound, but when we do sin - and we will sin - we rest in the truth that we are washed by the blood of Jesus.

Speaking of washing, there was a discussion about feet washing the other day. I was not a participant but I was in the room as it was openly discussed.  I am not speaking against the practice but am merely positing a different perspective on the scripture. You remember the story about Jesus and the disciples?

"Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself.  After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. Then He came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him, 'Lord, are You washing my feet?' Peter said to Him, 'You shall never wash my feet!' Jesus answered him, 'If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.' Simon Peter said to Him, 'Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!' Jesus said to him, 'He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you.' For He knew who [Judas] would betray Him; therefore He said, 'You are not all clean.'" - John 13:3-11

Do you see the Jesus' point here? Jesus was symbolically cleansing the disciples of the sins they had picked up along the way - but they were "bathed" by faith and therefore only needed to wash their feet. (1 John 1:9) It was a spiritual point but Peter, like Peter, was looking at dirty feet thinking it was something else. Taking Jesus literally. Also notice that Jesus said Judas was "not clean". Judas was not washed. In the past there has been I have been involved in discussions about Judas and his spiritual condition. I think this answers it. He was not clean like the other disciples. At least at the time of his betrayal.  

"How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word. With my whole  heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You. Blessed are You, O Lord! Teach me Your statutes. With my lips I have declared All the judgments of Your mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, As much as in all riches. I will meditate on Your precepts, And contemplate Your ways. I will delight myself in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word." - Psalm 119:9-15

I normally quote just verse 11. Hiding the Word in my heart. Or perhaps Joshua 1:8-9. Meditating on the Word. Both help me to be successful as I follow Jesus and struggle with sin. If I try to manage my sin, I find myself practicing religion - but what God wants is a relationship with me - and you. I love my wife and what she wants more than anything is to spend time with me - and I her. She is the most important person on this planet to me. It is the same way with God. If I love God with all my heart, soul and strength (Matthew 22:37-39),  then I will spend time with Him - reading His Word - Him talking to me. Praying - me talking to him. Jesus opened the door (torn curtain at the Holy of Holies) through Calvary. The Spirit enables the relationship by His indwelling every Believer.  And as my love grows - my life is transformed. But I will still need to wash my feet!

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: