Monday, August 15, 2022

Standing In The Gap

"The people of the land have used oppressions, committed robbery, and mistreated the poor and needy; and they wrongfully oppress the stranger. So I [God the Father] sought for a man among them who would make a wall, and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found no one." - Ezekiel 22:29-30

There are a few books that I have read more than once. The Call by Os Guinness is one. The Practice of the Presence of God, a compilation of writings by Brother Lawrence is another. Spiritual Leadership by J Oswald Sanders. Currently I am presently re-reading the Call. There are a couple of excerpts I want to share - with the intent of sparking thought on your part.

"Christian faith in the United States is socially irrelevant even if privately engaging." (p157)

"The problem with Western Christianity is not that they aren't WHERE (sic) they should be (that being integrated in all aspects of the culture - business, government) but they aren't WHAT (sic) they should be where they are." (p157)

Our challenge is, has been and will be - How do you demonstrate your faith in a secular society without being marginalized or minimized as a religious extremist or zealot? A society that is generally antagonistic toward the primacy of the Bible in human affairs. A Christian is someone to be tolerated, ignored or humored. A reality that is, I think, inevitable and unavoidable.

"... we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ" - Ephesians 4:14-15

There will always be a tension between what we believe to be true, according to the Word of God, and what the world says is true, according to man's thinking. That tension will manifest itself in politics, the media, entertainment industry, associations with people we know, and education. This list is not easily exhausted. The challenge for you and I is this - are we OK with the tension? Or do you feel a need to resolve the tension somehow? Unfortunately, the only way that you will succeed is by compromising your faith. The world is uncompromising. You will have to yield to the influence of the culture in order to relieve the tension. God's solution was to send Jesus as the great Reconciler. If you could resolve the conflict, Jesus didn't need to go to the cross. But you can't and He did!

"These things I [Jesus] have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you [a]will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33

At the moment, I am struggling with the tension associated with political identity. I really don't want my identity to be defined by a political party affiliation. My struggle? - I can't just identify with the parts of a platform that I agree with. By affiliating with a party you wear the label. You are associated with the entire platform, even the parts you don't agree with. I prefer to be thought of as a Christian - not a Republican or Democrat or whatever. It is not an easy thing to resolve if you believe you should be involved as a voter, and I do. 

We are looking for someone who will "stand in the gap" for what is right before the Lord. I want to vote for someone like that. I would love to be a friend to someone like that. Someone who has not sold their soul for 30  pieces of silver. Someone who will stand for right, by God's standards, even if it means rejection by their culture, community or political party. 

"Jesus is not a religious leader, but Lord of all life." (p158) There is not one aspect of a Christian's life where Jesus' lordship is excluded - but that is not to say it cannot be ignored. I met Dr. Henry Blackaby in a hotel lobby once in Little Rock, AK. We were staying at the same hotel. He was a speaker at the Promise Keeper conference and I was on staff with Promise Keepers. I introduced myself and we chatted briefly. He told me that "once the living water was flowing in a person's life they would be changed forever." I said "yes, but Dr. Blackaby you know that some have turned off the tap." That pretty much ended our brief conversation.  My point was that Christians can and do yield the cultural pressure - essentially cutting off the influence of the Holy Spirit in their lives. 

"Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all. See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies. Test all things; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil. Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it." - 1 Thessalonians 5:14-24

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone



No comments: