Friday, August 19, 2022

Following God's Plan And Not My Own

 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.  “For as the  heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts." - Isaiah 55:8-9

Martie and I have agreed to lead an Experiencing God study this fall at a small local church. It's not the first time. We have led this study on several occasions - in Alabama, Mississippi, Haiti and now in Texas. The reason we are so willing is that the principles taught in Experiencing God have been tested and proven in our own lives for the past 35 years or so. We have used the principles or "realities" as Dr. Blackaby has coined them as as guide to knowing and doing the will of God. In preparation, I am working through each of the videos which, in turn, are stirring my spirit and reminding me of why we have done what we have done as we stepped out for God.


There is a term that Dr. Blackaby uses, "Evangelical Christian Humanism". What it refers to is when well-meaning Christians try to use their minds (human wisdom) and not their hearts (spiritual understanding) to do something "good". Rather than listen to God, they look around and see what the need is then figure out how they can meet that need. After all - no need to wait on God to show them - God gave them a brain - they have experience - they have their spiritual driver's license if you will. They don't need "dad" to drive them around anymore. So off they go - forgetting or minimizing the fact that everything we do must be in the context of what God is doing. We should not start something without God and then expect Him to show up when He sees what a great idea we had.

They ask the wrong question "What can I do?" instead of the right question, "I wonder if there is anything that God wants me to do through me?" A god-centered perspective.  I listen closely to others who tell me about their plans or their work to see if there is any mention of God. When it is absent and I bring it up, they invariably back up and tell me "Of course God is in this!" And I think "Really?" 

"For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." - Matthew 12:34 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: