Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Has A Change Been Wrought?

"For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren." - Romans 8:29

Have you ever given that much thought? The fact that we are being conformed to be like Jesus? So what is it like to be like Jesus? I am reminded of an old time Gospel song - Since Jesus Cam Into My Heart. 

"What a wonderful change in my life has been wrought 
I have light in my soul for which long I have sought,
I have ceased from my wand’ring and going astray,
And my sins which were many are all washed away,
I’m possessed of a hope that is steadfast and sure,
And no dark clouds of doubt now my pathway obscure,
There’s a light in the valley of death now for me,
And the gates of the City beyond I can see,
I shall go there to dwell in that City I know,
And I’m happy, so happy as onward I go,
Since Jesus came into my heart." - Rufus H. McDaniel, 1914, Public Domain

That is Jesus' disposition. And what did Jesus do?

"Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner." - John 5:19

It is like a chain - Jesus watched what God, the Father, was doing in the world and Jesus did the same thing. In the same way, we should see what Jesus did and do the same. Do you remember what Jesus said in John 17?

"I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." - John 17:20-23

So when the world sees you and me, the world should see Jesus and the Father. Jesus lived in constant awareness of the Father. We should have that same awareness and not relegate our faith to certain times and places during our week. 

In Romans 12, Paul cautions us to not be conformed to the world. There are no idle words in the Bible.  What is written in the Bible is there for a reason. The reason? Because we are subjected to a persistent call by the world to be like the world. But God has a plan and purpose for each of us - given that we are like Jesus and not the world. God has called each of us and equipped or gifted us to fulfill that calling. His calling requires that we reject conventional wisdom and embrace the impossible made possible by God. Paul said that we are to "transformed by the renewing of our minds to prove the good and perfect will of God." And what is that? To be like Jesus.

Some believe that the time to think about such things is when you are young - not so. When we start "looking at the waves" after God has called us out of the boat, we can get very practical - knowing what God has called us to do, we think of reasons why obedience is not practical. Listen, chronology (consideration of your age) is something of this world - God is not bound by it and neither are we. "There is no god but God and no rest for who has any god but God. God is on the move!" - Os Guinness, p176.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: