Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Problem With Cutting Your Own Path

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘If we are in fellowship and oneness with God and recognize that He is taking us into His purposes, then we will no longer strive to find out what His purposes are. As we grow in the Christian life, it becomes simpler to us, because we are less inclined to say, “I wonder why God allowed this or that?” And we begin to see that the compelling purpose of God lies behind everything in life, and that God is divinely shaping us into oneness with that purpose. A Christian is someone who trusts in the knowledge and the wisdom of God, not in his own abilities. If we have a purpose of our own, it destroys the simplicity and the calm, relaxed pace which should be characteristic of the children of God.’ CHAMBERS
 
“For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.”  (Ephesians 2:10)
 
“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28)
 
“In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,”(Ephesians 1:11)
 
God has a plan and He has a purpose.  Our challenge is to follow Him and not cut our own path.  Think of it this way.  There is a program called rails to trails where old rail lines are being converted to bike and hiking trails.  There are hundreds of miles of these things in the U.S.  OK, so you are walking on this path enjoying nature when off to the side of the trail you hear hacking and cursing.  Alarmed you go to see what the problem is.  There in the middle of a thicket of brambles is a man with a machete.  His clothes are torn, his arms bleeding from the thorns.  You ask, “Is there some way I can help you?  Is there a problem?”  He answers, “No I got this.  I am making a path so I can walk on it and enjoy nature.”  You say “Did you know that 20 yards that way there is already a path .. it has been built for exactly that purpose.” He responds … with a sympathetic look in his eyes, “That may be fine for you, but I think I know what I am doing.  Thanks anyway.”  And begins hacking at the brambles.
 
That is how it is with us and our plans.  We know God has a plan already but we choose to struggle to cut our own path.  We choose the difficult road rather than the one that is God designed that brings simplicity, calm, and relaxed pace which could be  characteristic of your life.  Sounds simple in the reading … but another story in the doing.  In order to live that kind of life you have to give up control to God … so what are you going to do .. continue hacking in the brambles or go to the path that God has already made for you?  The choice really is yours.
 
"Jesus, Hold My Hand"
 
“As I travel through this pilgrim land  I have a Friend who walks with me.  He'll lead me safely through this sinking sand It is the Christ at Calvary. This would be my prayer dear Lord each day  To help me do the best I can.  For I need Thy light to guide me day and night  Blessed Jesus hold my hand.
 
Jesus, hold my hand for I need You every hour  Through this pilgrim land protect me, me by Thy power.  Hear my feeble plea, oh Lord, look down on me Hear my feeble plea  O Lord look down on me  When I kneel in prayer I hope to meet you there Blessed Jesus hold my hand
 
Let me travel in the light divine That I may see the blessed way.  Keep me that I may be wholly Thine and sing redemption's song someday”
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: