Monday, August 4, 2014

It Wasn't Me, It Was Him!

My Utmost For His Highest

‘[…]  Do you say, “But He has been unwise to choose me, because there is nothing good in me and I have no value”? That is exactly why He chose you. As long as you think that you are of value to Him He cannot choose you, because you have purposes of your own to serve. But if you will allow Him to take you to the end of your own self-sufficiency, then He can choose you to go with Him “to Jerusalem” (Luke 18:31). And that will mean the fulfillment of purposes which He does not discuss with you. We tend to say that because a person has natural ability, he will make a good Christian. It is not a matter of our equipment, but a matter of our poverty; not of what we bring with us, but of what God puts into us; not a matter of natural virtues, of strength of character, of knowledge, or of experience— all of that is of no avail in this concern. The only thing of value is being taken into the compelling purpose of God and being made His friends (see 1 Corinthians 1:26-31).’ CHAMBERS
 
I met with the board of Christ for All church (Pasto Marc’s church) in Jacmel this past week, at their request.  They wanted to talk to me about the partnership that has developed between us over the past three years.  More specifically, they wanted to thank me, personally, for helping to hold their church together when they found themselves facing a very difficult problem and for being an encouragement to them as they reach out to the lost.  The problem the addressed had threatened to unhinge the congregation.  It was at that point that I interrupted.  I told them that there was really only one thing they could thank me for .. one thing for which I could take credit .. that one thing being I said  “yes” to God when He said “go”.  I told them that everything else is to be credited to God.  He is the one who saves.  He is the one who knits us together.  He is the one who gives purpose.  He is the one who gives opportunity.  He is the one who gives us our capacity to do whatever it is that He calls us to do. Is that humility, perhaps, if humility means that you realize that everything you are that has value is because of God.
 
It is so easy to focus on the called and not on the caller.  It is so easy for the called to begin to think that it is they who have accomplished whatever it is that they have accomplished.  It’s all God, friends.  When you consider what God has called you to do … and if He has .. you know it .. you may resist it, you may deny it .. but in your heart you know it … remember that all He asks of you is to say yes at every step … why does He choose to do things this way? Perhaps because He created us in His image and likeness, but He did not give us the power … we need Him for that.  That being said .. do not be afraid to say “yes” He is faithful and what He calls you to do .. He will make provision for.  You can count on it!
 
“Hey, I'm yours Lord  Everything I've got  Everything I am  Everything I'm not.
 I'm yours Lord  Try me now and see  See if I can be  Completely yours.
 My life and my love  You hold in your hand  And I'll gladly devote  And enjoy your command.
 Now, I know it's not much  Your gift to repay  But it’s all that I got  And it's all I can say. I'm yours Lord”
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: