Monday, March 17, 2014

When Character Does Not Equal Reputation That Equals Hypocrisy

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘I must learn to relate everything to the primary goal, maintaining it without interruption. My worth to God publicly is measured by what I really am in my private life. Is my primary goal in life to please Him and to be acceptable to Him, or is it something less, no matter how lofty it may sound?’ CHAMBERS
 
There is something called the Westminster Shorter Catechism .. it is very old .. written about 1648 … it was used in England and Scotland to teach new converts about the Christian faith.  It is a series of questions and answers.  The first is this … “Q. 1. What is the chief end of man? A. Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.”  Our primary goal is to bring glory to God.  Some believe that they can have a thought life and private life that does not honor God and a public life that does honor God.  In other words, I can think about things that are contrary to the Word of God … and behave in ways that are contrary to God, privately, that no one but my family sees … and then put on a new face when I am around others . .especially other Christians and most especially when I am at church.  You know the word for that … hypocrisy.  Jesus said the greatest commandment is to love God with our whole being … at all times … We are to be the same person, no matter where we are … alone, with family, with unsaved people, with Christians.
 
If you are struggling with this in your life, it is because you need to draw close to God.  Having a form of godliness to show the world bears no fruit … you have nothing to offer … except death … Do not continue to deceive yourself … Paul said “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.”  (Galatians 1:10) It is in us that we should want acceptance … that we need to be loved ….. but that desire was planted by God so we would turn to Him .. not the world.  Stop trying to live your new life in your own strength … it is impossible and the only possible outcome is failure and hypocrisy.  Instead rest in the salvation that you have received through Jesus Christ and the new life that He offers.
 
“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: