Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Flying Blind

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘There are times in your spiritual life when there is confusion, and the way out of it is not simply to say that you should not be confused. It is not a matter of right and wrong, but a matter of God taking you through a way that you temporarily do not understand. And it is only by going through the spiritual confusion that you will come to the understanding of what God wants for you.’ CHAMBERS
 
Do you believe that?  That it is OK to be uncomfortable – uncertain – not able to see the end – just the next step.  When I was learning to fly a helicopter using instruments and not visual references, it was very disconcerting .. in fact, some folks could just not learn do it … Did you catch that?  Learn …. There is a song that goes …. “Learning to lean  .. learning to lean, I am learning to lean on Jesus.  Finding more power than I ever dreamed, I am learning to lean on Jesus.” Hebrews 11:1 says that Faith is trust .. flying by instruments .. “The substance of things hoped for .. the evidence of things not seen.”  Following God requires faith … ‘so what’s new?’  Right?  When you find yourself in the clouds … you can’t see where you are going … you can’t rely on your own wisdom to move ahead … you need to put your trust where it belongs …
 
If your life can be characterized by this … Me …me…me…me…God … me … me…me…me…God …me...me…me…  You have missed the point … My life of faith is supposed to be all God and none of me … Understanding is not a requirement for obedience … I remember when I was in Basic training at Ft Leonardwood.  I was 18 years old.  My drill sergeant’s name was Sergeant San Felice.  He was from Puerto Rico and had a very heavy accent.  It was hard for mid-western boys to understand him.  He told us, “I don’t care if you can’t understand me .. you better do it!”  So if it sounded like push up .. we dropped and did pushups.  Has God been telling you to do something that you didn’t understand?  That you wanted clarification on?
 
Maybe this is as much as God is going to show you until you take the first step?  It’s time to trust and obey … and as you walk out your faith … your light will shine brighter than it ever has before …
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: