Thursday, May 12, 2022

Living A Sinless Life - How Is That Working For You?

"Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." - Hebrews 4:14-16

Tempted as we are, yet without sin. As I read those words again last night, a new insight came to me. Has that ever happened to you ? You have read a verse so many times and then one day it seems that the Spirit gives you understanding. Not as it applies to other people - but as it applies to you . Like the Pharisee's attitude toward the tax collector.

"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’  And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." - Luke 18:10-14

We have to be careful that we don't understand scripture in the way that the Pharisee did. A guide for judging others.  There is only One who is sinless - that is Jesus.  He was tempted like we are but the difference is that He did not sin and we do - still. Salvation is not making these mortal bodies impervious to temptation and sin.  I am still tempted and I still sin. Does my confession surprise you? It shouldn't. As a Christian, I am not sinless - but I do sin less. I find that most of my sins are internal - thoughts, attitudes and not overt - actions taken.  Sins that are hidden from the view of man but not from the mind of God. Jesus spoke to that as well.

"You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." - Matthew 5:21-22, 27-28

We all struggle with sin but we are no longer condemned because of it. We don't have an excuse to continue to sin.

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? " - Romans 6:1-2

We must not be content that we still struggle with sin but must continue to battle with it with the whole armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18). And not failing to "come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need"

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: