Monday, May 16, 2022

Double Jeopardy

"There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh" - Romans 8:1-3

Are you familiar with the term "Double Jeopardy"? Double jeopardy definition, the subjecting of a person to a second trial or punishment for the same offense for which the person has already been tried or punished. If you are found guilty and later it is determined that you are, in fact, innocent, you can be acquitted. But if you are found innocent of a charge and later found guilt, you cannot be tried again.

I am certain to find some disagreement with the opinion I am about to share. But first some scriptural context.

"For the death that He (Jesus) died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God." - Romans 6:10

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." - Roamns 5:8

"But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man’s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification" - Romans 5:15-16

We who have been saved by the blood of Jesus by confessing that He is Lord and believing God raised Him from the dead have eternal life. Listening to a sermon on the Great White Throne Judgement, I was reminded that there is no double jeopardy with God in Jesus.  Jesus was declared guilty on my behalf. Because of Jesus, I was acquitted. I cannot be retried for my offenses because I have been ransomed thought the Cross. I hear people speak about our sins being laid bear in front of that throne as if I might be tried again - but there can be no re-trial. The case has been closed. My name has been written in the Lamb's Book of Life. Can I get a hallelujah?

At the same time, I am reminded of the Apostle Paul's words.

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?" - Romans 6:1-3

Sin and the temptations that precede it, will haunt us until the day we see Jesus. But because of my faith in Jesus, I am a child of God and nothing can change that.  

"For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:38-39

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: