Sunday, May 8, 2022

For Such A Worm As I!

 "There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death." Proverbs 14:12

  

"Alas! and did my Savior bleed? And did my Sov’reign die, Would He devote that sacred head For such a worm as I?" - Alas! and did my Savior bleed, Public Domain

My daughter and I were installing attic stairs for a widow Saturday.  It was a promise that I had made 2 years earlier. Attic stairs are low on the priority scale when compared to needing plumbing - a roof -  a foundation. Time flies - as we were installing stairs in our own home two weeks ago, I was reminded (let's say the Spirit reminded me) of a commitment I had made to her.  So I contacted her and asked of she still need the rickety stairs replaced and she did.  So why pictures of a worm?

My Sawz-All (cuts through nails) gave up the ghost in the middle of removing the old stairs. Mandi made a run to Home Depot to get a new one and I sat on the front porch waiting on her. As I sat there I saw a worm crawl of out the flower bed next to the porch onto the sidewalk. The heat index was over 100. I knew that the worm was headed for its demise. That is when the Proverbs 14:12 came to mind.  That worm's choice - if worms can make choices - may have seemed right.  Its instincts may have been telling him to keep going - that what it was seeking was just ahead. But it was on a fool's errand. The worm would be dead in a matter of minutes. Natural selection you say? Maybe. Avoidable - only if it turned around which it had no intention of doing - or unless there was some intervention.  

I got up the bench and with the flick of my hat, catapulted the worm back into the flower garden. The second picture shows the worm crawling back into the earth from whence it had come. We are just like that worm. Making choices that seem right to us - prompted by the lust of the flesh, lust of the eye and the pride of life. Natural selection you ask?

"For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world." 1 John 2:16

But thank God for His Spiritual Selection. God has intervened in our lives as we were headed to our doom. Crawling across a sidewalk on a hot Texas day - thinking that we were in our right mind headed for something good.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil." - John 3:16-19

Do you know any worms crawling on the sidewalk?

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: