Thursday, May 19, 2022

Never Go To Bed With Dirty Feet

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us." - 1 John 1:8-10

We were meeting with a few Christian friends last night. When we meet we discuss the sermon from the previous Sunday. That is a healthy habit. All too often I have heard a sermon and before I hit the exit door of the church, I had already put the truths I had heard coming from the pulpit out of my mind. Ever happen to you? 

Well the subject had to do with the Great White Throne judgement in Revelation 20.  We talked about our freedom in Christ - that we have access to the Holy of Holies because of the sacrifice made, once for all, by our Great High Priest - Jesus. That our names are written in the Lambs Book of Life. That, on that day, we will stand free of guilt because Jesus paid it all. We have been acquitted by His blood on the cross.

Our conversation drifted to the reality of the sins that we still commit, even though we are saved from those sins by faith. A gift of Grace. I was reminded of Jesus washing the Disciples feet and Peter resisting - I think because he did not feel worthy.

"Then He (Jesus) came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him, 'Lord, are You washing my feet?' Jesus answered and said to him, 'What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this.'  Peter said to Him, 'You shall never wash my feet!' Jesus answered him, 'If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.' Simon Peter said to Him, 'Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!' Jesus said to him, 'He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you.'” - John 13:6-10

The point is that we who are born again are "bathed". We are "clean" before God. As we go through our day, are "feet" get dirty from walking in the "dust" of the world. We need to wash our feet (confess our sins) and remember the great salvation we have, from even those sins, because of Jesus. That we should not consider them as "nothing" because we are saved, but be intentionally aware of those sins and praise God for our new life in Christ. Being intentional about acknowledging our sin before God (1 John 1:9) and never go to bed with dirty feet.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: