Friday, October 25, 2013

Following When Times Get Tough

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘A Christian [..] has to learn how to be God’s man or woman of great worth and excellence in the midst of a multitude of meager and worthless things. Never protest by saying, “If only I were somewhere else!” All of God’s people are ordinary people who have been made extraordinary by the purpose He has given them. Unless we have the right purpose intellectually in our minds and lovingly in our hearts, we will very quickly be diverted from being useful to God. We are not workers for God by choice. Many people deliberately choose to be workers, but they have no purpose of God’s almighty grace or His mighty Word in them.  […] It is not that you have gotten God, but that He has gotten you. God is at work bending, breaking, molding, and doing exactly as He chooses. And why is He doing it? He is doing it for only one purpose— that He may be able to say, “This is My man, and this is My woman.” We have to be in God’s hand so that He can place others on the Rock, Jesus Christ, just as He has placed us.’ CHAMBERS
 
Some time back, at a meeting with other people serving in Haiti, I told them that if God had not called them to serve here, they should go home because serving here is hard with God … but is impossible without God.  I had no idea who was and who wasn’t called by God. But suspected there were some of both in the crowd.  Haitian pastors give me credit for the work here to which I reply “It is not me but God that you need to praise.”  In the old testament there are examples of angels – messengers sent by God – who told men to not worship them when the men tried to bow down before them. That was an example for messengers to be careful about taking credit for what God has done.  It is not just the purpose that makes us extra-ordinary but the power that is in us. God’s Spirit and anointing.  Be careful that you don’t confuse God’s working through you with your personal accomplishments.  The only thing that I have done of note is obey God.  Everything else is because of Him.  False humility – No – a clear understanding of the nature of our call to Haiti. Zechariah 4:6 “It’s not by [my] might nor by [my] power but by [His] Spirit, says the Lord God..”
 
That is not to say that the work we do will be easy … at the same time that God is using us to bless others and point them to Jesus … He is crushing us like grapes made into wine .. changing us from something that had little or no eternal value into something that was of great use for the kingdom.  It is when you are in the winepress that you will be challenged and will begin to wonder if maybe you should be someplace else …. It is then that your faith will be tested and your resolve challenged.  Do I continue to follow Jesus or do I go home .. back to Egypt .. back to times when it was not so difficult for me. For me?
 
“I have decided to follow Jesus .. no turning back .. no turning back .. No none go with me, I still will follow .. the world behind me, the cross before me .. no turning back .. no turning back”
 
How about you?
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: