Saturday, October 12, 2013

Whose I am is who I am

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘The true test of a person’s spiritual life and character is not what he does in the extraordinary moments of life, but what he does during the ordinary times when there is nothing tremendous or exciting happening. A person’s worth is revealed in his attitude toward the ordinary things of life when he is not under the spotlight.’ CHAMBERS
 
It is men who have defined the significance of the role that you will serve in as a Christian.  There are a few who do extraordinary things as they serve God.  But even then it is God and not they who are accomplishing those mighty acts. In Christ, every day is extraordinary .. or at least it should be.  We have been given a new – spiritual life when we are born again. (2 Corinthians 5:17) That life is not reserved for special events .. but it is meant for every day, 24x7, for eternity.  It is our new way of living … Often times we treat our spiritual nature like a light switch .. thinking we can just turn it on and off as needed.  You must be careful that you don’t deceive yourself.  In those times, you are not being spiritual, you are being religious … and Jesus condemned the religious during his ministry before the cross.
 
Who you are when you are alone .. or faced with someone who very disagreeable .. or are standing in the spotlight of some spiritual activity … should be the same person  .. having the same attitude.  Galatians 2:20 “I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, but not I but Christ lives in me. And the life I now life I live by faith in the Son of God Who loved me and gave Himself up for me.”  Everything we do … should be done with that understanding … everything we say or think should be said or thought in the light of who we are in Christ.  It doesn’t matter what you are doing at the time.  When we were serving on the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina, someone asked me if I liked living in Mississippi.  I answered “There is nothing better than being in the center of God’s will for your life, geography has nothing to do with it. I love living in Mississippi because that is where God wants us. ”  The same goes for what you are doing … what you are doing or where you are living should have nothing to do with how you are behaving … It is all about Jesus .. not you
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: