Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fruit of Obedience

My Utmost For His Highest

‘If our Lord insisted on our obedience, He would simply become a taskmaster and cease to have any real authority. He never insists on obedience, but when we truly see Him we will instantly obey Him. Then He is easily Lord of our life, and we live in adoration of Him from morning till night. The level of my growth in grace is revealed by the way I look at obedience. We should have a much higher view of the word obedience, rescuing it from the mire of the world. Obedience is only possible between people who are equals in their relationship to each other; like the relationship between father and son, not that between master and servant. Jesus showed this relationship by saying, “I and My Father are one” (John 10:30).’ CHAMBERS

Whenever I hear the word obedience .. I think of controlling .. making someone do something they don’t want to do.  That may be true for the world, but for God? No.  We obey because we love Him and understand that what He wants us to do is for our benefit.  We can accept that God created us .. but we have a more difficult time accepting that His ways are better than ours … it is as if to say … I know better than you, God!  Can that be?  Now you may be thinking … but I do love God. I am just not ‘there’ yet.  The way you build a relationship is by spending time with the person. The depth of your love for the Lord is a result of your spending time with Him.  John 14:23-24  ‘Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.  (24)  He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father's who sent Me.’

It is an issue of the depth of love not the fact of love.  Matthew 22:37 says love God with all … not some .. not sometimes … that will only come if you are cultivating your relationship with Him everyday.  Don’t be content with ‘close enough’.  God has so much more for you than that.  As you spend more time with Him, you will find that your life reflects obedience to His Word.  Not because you are working harder at it, but because it is the fruit of that relationship.  If you are connected to the Vine (Jesus) you will produce the fruit of obedience.  It is a natural result …. And your life will be richer for it.

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: