Saturday, April 7, 2012

Charging Your Batteries

My Utmost For His Highest

God cannot reveal anything to us if we don’t have His Spirit. And our own unyielding and headstrong opinions will effectively prevent God from revealing anything to us[…]But so many people do tell what they saw on the Mount of Transfiguration— their mountaintop experience. They have seen a vision and they testify to it, but there is no connection between what they say and how they live. CHAMBERS

Imagine that I was working on a house and I had to put, say 500 screws into the house. Now I had a Dewalt impact driver with charged batteries and I had a #2 Phillips screwdriver..  You came by to see me and to see how I was doing on my project.  As we chatted I put the screws into the house framing.  I told you about how great the Dewalt screw gun was.  The impact driver pushed the screws into the wood like it was nothing.  But you noticed something.  As much as I talked about the Dewalt tool, the whole time I was putting the screws in with the #2 Phillips screw driver.  I would grunt and groan, switch hands, You didn’t want to offend me so you didn’t say anything.  But you wondered why I didn’t use the tool I had but only talked about it.   Instead I used my own strength to do the job.  

That is what it is like when we don’t have a connection between ‘what we say and how we live.’  Our faith is nothing more than an academic philosophy.  Enjoyable to discuss but of no real practical value in our daily life.  It is not because it can’t be .. I have put screws into wood both ways and I much prefer the Dewalt to sore muscles and hours of work.  So why don’t more people choose the Dewalt over the screw driver … living by faith and the power of the Spirit over living in the strength of our flesh and our own wisdom?  I believe it is because we don’t charge our batteries … God has given us everything we need to live the life He has called us to … we just need to appropriate it … we need to seek Him out in prayer, put on the whole armor of God every day .. (Ephesians 6) Read the Bible … spend time with other Believers .. spend less time absorbing the culture’s values and solutions through television and seeking counsel from people who cannot offer Godly wisdom.  If you are thinking. “Hey is no harm in watching .. or those are my friends”  That is exactly my point .. you prefer the world to God … may sound harsh but the truth can seem harsh … Pray about it … don’t just listen to me, go see what the Word of God has to say about it … You will be glad you did.

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: