Skip to main content

I've Got The Love of Jesus Where?

The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. - Romans 10:8-9

We say “Jesus is in our hearts” because it’s a simple, emotional way to describe a deep spiritual reality—not a literal one.

The short answer

As Christians we use that phrase to express relationship, transformation, and presence. It’s about Jesus shaping our inner lives—our values, our motives, our identities—not about Him physically living inside our chests.

So what does the phrase really mean?

First. It describes a relationship

Saying Jesus is “in my heart” means He’s not just an idea or a historical figure. He’s someone you’ve welcomed into the center of your life. It’s relational language—like saying someone “has a place in my heart.”

Second. It describes a transformation

The heart represents the core of who we are:

  • our desires

  • our choices

  • our character

  • our moral compass

So when we Christians say Jesus is in our hearts, we mean His teachings and His Spirit are reshaping those things in us.

Third. It refers to the presence of the Holy Spirit

Jesus sends the Holy Spirit to live within believers. So “Jesus in my heart” is a shorthand way of saying: God’s Spirit is with me, guiding me, comforting me, and changing me from the inside out.

We must be born again by the Spirit through faith in Jesus.

Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. - John 3:3-6

Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? - 1 Corinthians 3:16

Fourth. It refers to our identity

It’s also a way of saying: “My life belongs to Him. He defines who I am now.”

We don’t say "Jesus is in my heart" literally because ... 

The Bible uses “heart” symbolically. In Scripture, the heart is the seat of:

  • thought

  • emotion

  • will

  • spiritual life

So the phrase is metaphorical, but the experience it points to is real.

How the Trinity fits into all of this

Jesus - Redemption, Intercession, and Judgment

Spirit - Regeneration, Transformation

Father - Source of divine life and authority, Sender of the Son, Initiator of redemption, Provider and sustainer, Spiritual Father to all believers.

Think about it – Pray about it - Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Knows - Is That Enough For You?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope ." - Jeremiah 29:11 There is a saying that I picked up while on staff with Promise Keepers in the mid 90's. "You can't teach what you don't know, you can't lead where you won't go, and you can only recreate what you are." It's true and can be convicting.  So - on to my point. If you have been reading these posts then you know that Martie and I have been teaching Experiencing God which is essentially spiritual awareness training. You know at the point of salvation that God sealed you with His Spirit (Ephesians 1:13-14) and your body is now the "temple of the Holy Spirit" (1 Corinthians 6:19). But did you know that God speaks to you by His Spirit through the Word (when you hear it or read it), Prayer (when you pray to God), circumstances (life as you live it) and other Christians (who also have the Spirit...

Listen to God

My Utmost For His Highest “But most of us show incredible disrespect to God because we don’t even hear Him. He might as well never have spoken to us.   The goal of my spiritual life is such close identification with Jesus Christ that I will always hear God and know that God always hears me …. If I have not developed and nurtured this devotion of hearing, I can only hear God’s voice at certain times. At other times I become deaf to Him because my attention is to other things— things which I think I must do. This is not living the life of a child of God.” CHAMBERS Have you ever said something in a conversation only to have someone say “That is just what I said!”   But you didn’t hear it.   Or maybe the thought that you had was not yours at all but the words the other person had just spoken.   Whatever the case, the person is normally just a little put out because that tells them, in no uncertain terms, you are not listening to what they say.   That is how it i...

God With Us Is The God Who Saves Us

" Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel. " - Isaiah 7:14 As I listened to the sermon this past Sunday, it was if pieces to a puzzle were being fitted into place. It was not something that I did not know, but something that I did not see - until that moment. Of course, the verse in Isaiah is a prophecy about Jesus or should I say Immanuel - meaning God with us. Not God, the Father, that no man has seen. (John 1:18) It was His Son that the Father sent that the world has seen. (John 3:16)  "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end. ” - Luke 1:30-33 His name ...