Skip to main content

Trust And Not Understanding Is The Prerequisite For Obedience

"Let us go to Judea again." The disciples said to Him, "…are You going there again?" —John 11:7-8

"Just because I don’t understand what Jesus Christ says, I have no right to determine that He must be mistaken in what He says. That is a dangerous view, and it is never right to think that my obedience to God’s directive will bring dishonor to Jesus. The only thing that will bring dishonor is not obeying Him. I know when the instructions have come from God because of their quiet persistence. But when I begin to weigh the pros and cons, and doubt and debate enter into my mind, I am bringing in an element that is not of God. This will only result in my concluding that His instructions to me were not right. Many of us are faithful to our ideas about Jesus Christ, but how many of us are faithful to Jesus Himself? Faithfulness to Jesus means that I must step out even when and where I can’t see anything (see Matthew 14:29). But faithfulness to my own ideas means that I first clear the way mentally. Faith, however, is not intellectual understanding; faith is a deliberate commitment to the Person of Jesus Christ, even when I can’t see the way ahead.” - Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest 

"I know when the instructions have come from God because of their quiet persistence." So knowing that it is God is not so much the issue, but knowing the “why” is the criteria for obedience to many people. For most, before they will do something they want to know the reason. Why? I believe because they want to know so they can decide if they agree with it. And so it is with receiving God’s direction often times.  What we are asked to do may not make "natural" sense …. Get out of the boat and walk on water … walk across a flooded river … march around a fortified city 7 times … wash yourself in the river 7 times … put your faith in Jesus and walk … draw from the well that never will run dry … trust in the Lord and do not lean on your own understanding … confess and believe and you will be saved.  (Isaiah 55:8) “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.” 

When my daughter was taking Algebra in school, she asked me how to solve a particular problem.  I showed her but then proceeded to explain to her “why” we solved the problem that way.  A page and a half later, her eyes were glazed over and like with Charley Brown's teacher all she heard was “Wah Wa Wah Wa Wah”.  The only way we will understand the “why” is by the Spirit of God, and truth be told, we may still not “get it” fully.  Understanding is not the prerequisite for obedience, trust is.  Our mental capacity is not adequate for fully understanding God.  He is the potter and we are the clay. 

“But now, O LORD, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand.” - Isaiah 64:8 

I recall when God was giving Martie and me a mission change. We had just spent 5 years in Mississippi responding to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. We knew a message was from God because the instructions have come from God with quiet persistence.  People who did not know each other - geographically separated had told us that we should go to Haiti. Honestly, I had to look up where Haiti was on the map.  But, Martie and I knew it was God.  When I told a friend in Waveland, Mississippi when asked where we might go next my reply was "God is sending us to Haiti.". He looked me square in the face and asked "Are you crazy?" To which I replied "It is not my idea - it's God's." That was not false bravado on my part but a resolution for us to go when God says "Go" and do what God says to do. 

To walk by faith and not by sight. - 2 Corinthians 5:7

What has God said to you? It doesn't matter how far He sends you - around the world or around the block. When He says "Go" then Go!

Think about it – Pray about it - Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God Knows - Is That Enough For You?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope ." - Jeremiah 29:11 There is a saying that I picked up while on staff with Promise Keepers in the mid 90's. "You can't teach what you don't know, you can't lead where you won't go, and you can only recreate what you are." It's true and can be convicting.  So - on to my point. If you have been reading these posts then you know that Martie and I have been teaching Experiencing God which is essentially spiritual awareness training. You know at the point of salvation that God sealed you with His Spirit (Ephesians 1:13-14) and your body is now the "temple of the Holy Spirit" (1 Corinthians 6:19). But did you know that God speaks to you by His Spirit through the Word (when you hear it or read it), Prayer (when you pray to God), circumstances (life as you live it) and other Christians (who also have the Spirit...

Listen to God

My Utmost For His Highest “But most of us show incredible disrespect to God because we don’t even hear Him. He might as well never have spoken to us.   The goal of my spiritual life is such close identification with Jesus Christ that I will always hear God and know that God always hears me …. If I have not developed and nurtured this devotion of hearing, I can only hear God’s voice at certain times. At other times I become deaf to Him because my attention is to other things— things which I think I must do. This is not living the life of a child of God.” CHAMBERS Have you ever said something in a conversation only to have someone say “That is just what I said!”   But you didn’t hear it.   Or maybe the thought that you had was not yours at all but the words the other person had just spoken.   Whatever the case, the person is normally just a little put out because that tells them, in no uncertain terms, you are not listening to what they say.   That is how it i...

God With Us Is The God Who Saves Us

" Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel. " - Isaiah 7:14 As I listened to the sermon this past Sunday, it was if pieces to a puzzle were being fitted into place. It was not something that I did not know, but something that I did not see - until that moment. Of course, the verse in Isaiah is a prophecy about Jesus or should I say Immanuel - meaning God with us. Not God, the Father, that no man has seen. (John 1:18) It was His Son that the Father sent that the world has seen. (John 3:16)  "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end. ” - Luke 1:30-33 His name ...