Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Stopping Short with Our Confession

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. - 1 John 1:8-10

It is a simple thing to confess that we have done something wrong - sinned against God. It can be just words - "Father forgive me for I have sinned" and then we press on with our lives.  I am certain you remember the story of the prodigal son.  You never really know at what point he realized that he had indeed sinned against his father. In fact if you read the story - the reason he went back home was that he was tired of dealing with the consequences of his sin. He had abandoned his family to go his own way, but it didn't work out - and I think that is most often the case.

So he could have said "I messed up, maybe I can go home and pretend that everything is well" When in fact there was a fracture in their relationship that he caused. His father still loved him, but the relationship was broken and there was only one way it could be mended. Repentance -  a heart change. I think that is the failing of many people who think that forgiveness is something they can get so they can continue to live the way they want to. They can continue to sin and then get that sin erased so as not to interfere with their lives and their poor choices.

When we seek forgiveness through confession it must be preceded by a change of heart. That I would love God with my whole heart and not myself. When David was confronted by the Prophet Nathan concerning his sin with Bathsheba and the death of Uriah (the Bible doesn't say that explicitly, but those two things - adultery and murder -  went hand in hand) David said "Create in me a new heart and renew a right spirit in me" Psalm 51.  

With confession must come a rending of the heart - repentance - a turning away - not seeking the opportunity to continue in my sinful ways. You would say "You are not talking about me!" and I would say "Oh really?"  I am talking about all of us. We make excuses for our sin. Perhaps are not really sorry that we sinned but that we got caught in them or are, like the prodigal, dealing with the consequences of them.

The prodigal son was certain he did not deserve to be restored to a place of sonship but was satisfied with being a servant. Repenting of his sin, the father restored him and rejoiced at his return.

"And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet.  And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found." - Luke 15:21-24

Think about it – Pray about it - Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: