Do The Right Thing And Don't Wait For A Thankyou

Fierce witnesses rise up; They ask me things that I do not know. They reward me evil for good, To the sorrow of my soul. But as for me, when they were sick, My clothing was sackcloth; I humbled myself with fasting; And my prayer would return to my own heart. I paced about as though he were my friend or brother; I bowed down heavily, as one who mourns for his mother. But in my adversity they rejoiced And gathered together; Attackers gathered against me, And I did not know it; They tore at me and did not cease; With ungodly mockers at feasts They gnashed at me with their teeth. - Psalm 35-11-16

Seem like an odd scripture. When I read it this morning I was reminded of Matthew 25 - the parable of the sheep and the goats. 

Then the righteous will answer Him [Jesus] , saying, Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You? And the King will answer and say to them, Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me. - Matthew 25:37-40

I helped someone the other day and they said, "I owed you big for this!" to which I replied, "I did it because I love you not because I expected something in return." And that got me thinking about the difference between Christian charity - Matthew 25 - and the world's view about doing good things for people. If I share the Gospel with words - that is a good thing - but how much better that I share the Gospel with deeds. Helping others should be a natural outpouring of our faith. Proof of our faith if you will.

Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. - James 2:17-18

I used to struggle with these verses.  Martin Luther called the Book of James a "strawy epistle" - hard to swallow since he preached justification by faith and not works. The problem was the Catholic church had gotten the works-cart before the faith-horse.  James was simply saying that the declaration of our faith is best presented through good works - not just good words.  That is not to suggest that the Gospel must not be proclaimed. I have done that with the person I referred to at the onset of this devotion. But it is my faith in action demonstrated by my works, free of conditions and expectation of reciprocity, that proves my faith.

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. That is an anonymous quote attributed to many people of the year. I first heard it in 1995 at a Promise Keepers conference by a speaker, Dr. John Maxwell. But he was not the originator. Be that as it may, the saying is axiomatic and applies to you and me sharing our faith with the world through our good works.

James Brown, a devote Christian and the studio host of CBS NFL Today gave the sermon at our church today.  He showed a graphic during his sermon on Discipleship, Development and Growth which fits nicely with what I am writing about.

As a Christian do I believe in God or do I actually  live out that belief and obey God? Many people are interested in not going to hell - but when it comes to living by their faith - well suffice it to say that fewer are willing to follow that path.

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. - Ephesians 2:10

Think about it – Pray about it - Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments:

Do The Right Thing And Don't Wait For A Thankyou

Fierce witnesses rise up; They ask me things that I do not know. They reward me evil for good, To the sorrow of my soul. B ut as for me, whe...