Let them be confounded because of their shame, Who say to me, “Aha, aha!” Psalm 40:15
When I read Psalm 40 this morning, I thought about my mom. It was 1970. I had been in South Vietnam for nearly a year. In Vinh Long, a province that sits in the Mekong River and is essentially one big rice paddy. I had been receiving letters from home - from my mom. She was telling me bout her new found faith in Jesus. She and my dad, two younger brothers and a younger sister. I had three older sisters that had already left home and were not part of the Way, not for years to come.
When I returned to the States later that fall and mustered out of the Army, I moved back into the home-place. But it was not the same home that I had left. There was something different. The biggest difference was my mom. She had been a bit of a hellion when I was growing up. Up to the point that I left for the Army actually. But now she was different. She epitomized the verse 2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
It was hard to understand - but my older sisters and I thought that it was an act. That it was a put on. That eventually the "old mom" would reappear and like Psalm 40:15 we would say "aha, aha!" We knew it was not real. It couldn't be could it? She was not who she pretended to be - no - she was still the old mom. But the old mom never reappeared.
Coincidentally, I had come back from the Army with a drinking problem, profanity laced conversations and a 2 pack a day smoking habit. And then it happened - in 1976 my wife and I "met Jesus on the road." Just like my mom, dad, brothers and sister had in 1969. And eventually, so did my three older sisters. Our lives were changed - forever. My children have no idea what I was like since they were all raised in a Christian home. And they have a hard time believing that I was ever like that. I often use this quote, I suppose because it resonates so with my life. It is loosely attributed to John Newton, writer of Amazing Grace.
“I am not the man I ought to be, I am not the man I wish to be and I am not the man I hope to be, but, by the grace of God, I am not the man I used to be.”
― John Newton
In Haiti, they grow sour oranges to use to tenderize meat. Those oranges look like other oranges while they are hanging on the tree. But take a bite and you will discover that it is not fit to eat. It is not sweet at all. That is what we thought about my mom. Spiritual conversion is not something that you can physically see. No - you have to experience the difference. You may be expecting, convinced there will be an "Aha" moment to prove that what people said is now "sweet" is in fact still sour. But it is not. Why could I expect a sweet taste from a sour orange? Because His grace is amazing! The old is gone and the new has come.
Amazing grace - how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found. Was blind but now I see.
No comments:
Post a Comment