Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due

"Then he [the angel of the Lord] said to me [Zechariah], “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts." - Zechariah 4:6

I was going to write about authority, but then, because of a conversation I changed my mind - or the Spirit did it for me! Which often happens. It was a conversation about events held as an outreach to the community here in Florida. It was very successful. The person talking to me was speaking as if the success was based upon their organizational prowess. In other words taking credit for something that God had done.

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.” - Luke 4:18-19

I can see how God has brought a group of people together, Christian led but non-Christians being part of the group, for the purpose of giving hope to the people and bringing glory to God. So I see that and then I hear someone singing their own praises about how they had "won the day" through their own efforts.

The truth is that God calls us to join Him in what He is already doing. Not the other way around. The person speaking is spiritually blind, so he doesn't know any better. As far as he is concerned - God has nothing to do with what happened. Can successful events be held and God not be part of it? Yes, of course. Happens everyday. But not this time. This is important to Martie and me because we have no desire to be involved in secular events and effort. I suppose I have become "hyper-sensitive" to any indication that something people want us involved in has excluded God and is depending upon the dead works of man. No matter how successful it might appear to the natural man - what is produced is wood, hay, and stubble - all to be burned up in the fire. Life on this planet is too short to waste your time on things that don't matter in heaven. And be careful that when you are fortunate enough to join God in something that He is doing that you give credit where credit is due - and it's not with you! 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: