Thursday, January 12, 2023

Is Jesus Really Your Lord?

"And when Jesus finished these sayings, the crowds were astonished at his teaching, for he was teaching them as one who had authority, and not as their scribes." - Matthew 7:28-29

Authority - What were the people acknowledging. Authority is the power to give orders or make decisions, the power or right to direct or control someone or something. It is not same the authority someone is because they are the smartest one in the room on some subject, like she is the authority on some disease or historical information.

God, the Father, as Creator, has all authority over His creation and He has delegated authority to Jesus. Responsibility and authority are hand in glove. But, while you can delegate authority to others to act on your behalf, you cannot delegate responsibility. Remember Harry Truman, "The Buck Stops Here!" He understood that ultimately he was responsible. OK, Lesson over! Recall that the Centurion? 

"When he had entered Capernaum, a centurion came forward to him, appealing to him, “Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, suffering terribly.” And he said to him, “I will come and heal him.”  But the centurion replied, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof, but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I too am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” When Jesus heard this, he marveled and said to those who followed him, “Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such faith." - Matthew 8:5-10

He recognized Jesus authority over creation. He himself, wielded authority. It was something that the Jews failed to see. If you have served in the military or been a manager or teacher or .... you know that you had both responsibility and authority.  I would tell the young officers that served with me that there was a reason why their rank was sewn on their collars. Because when you take your shirt off, you are just like everyone else. I have known a number of leaders who did not understand that people were responding to their rank or position and not necessarily them. I recall one lieutenant complained to me that he had to remind his men that he was the lieutenant. I told him that they already knew that, it was  on his collar, what was lacking was they did not respect him.

Many times, both Christians and non-Christians who carry the "mantle of authority" confuse who they are with their calling or position and the authority that comes with that calling. For Christians, they start to think that it is them and not God working through them. They push God aside and embrace the praise and attention as something they deserve somehow. It is a slippery slope and many have fallen off the side of the mountain.

"if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." - Romans 10:9

Confessing that Jesus is Lord means that you acknowledge that He has authority over you. "say to you, ‘Go,’ and you go, and to you, ‘Come,’ and you come, and to you, His servant, ‘Do this,’ and you do it.” That is what it means for Jesus to be Lord. Obedience is at the heart of our faith.

"Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me." - John 14:23-24

Obedience is all about authority. If you don't love Jesus, it means that you do not acknowledge His authority as Lord over your life. If you have a problem with obedience to the Word it is because you are not submitted to Jesus' authority as Lord.  A position given to Him by the Father. 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: