Sunday, January 29, 2023

Looking For Answers - RTB - Read The Book

"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Have you ever had a problem with your car. Some feature that you just did not understand how to make it work? So what did you do? Well, in the olden days, you would get the Owner's Manual out of the glove box, turn to the index, look for the feature in the list, identify the page it was on and turn to it. Then follow the instructions because you trusted they were right.  Today you are more likely to "GOOGLE" it or go to YOUTUBE. That failing you might resort to looking in your glove box.

It is pretty much the same for Christians and living our new life.  There is much we don't understand in life. We don't know how to make it work. Like your car, sort of, the answers are all in the "owner's manual", the Word of God.

"This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” - Joshua 1:8-9

Do you read the Bible? Often? Or maybe just on Sunday mornings at church. And then maybe from the big screen. The Bible is critical to living your new life in Christ successfully. It is THE source of spiritual wisdom.  It is God breathed. It is absolute truth in a world that does not believe in absolutes. I can remember when my step-dad, ( I will address that phrase at the end of this devotion) when asked about a problem would say, "Let's see what the Bible has to say about it." Getting advice or direction from the One who created - designed you and me - is exponentially more beneficial than asking a friend who is also struggling to keep their own head above water.

That is not to say that godly counsel is not necessary - it is just that you must ensure that it is godly counsel based upon scripture and not worldly opinion based upon emotion or human wisdom.

The takeaway from this is that you need to make it a habit of reading the Bible. If you are not doing it consistently then you should start. A lack of hunger for the Word of God is an indication that you are struggling spiritually. Don't like the sound of that? Neither do I! Use what I call the "crawl, walk run" method. Start slow with small bites and work you way up to a full meal on the Bread of Life.

Ok now to the phrase - "step-dad".  I will be 73 years old this year. My parents were divorced when I was 2 years old. My mom remarried when I was 4 - maybe 5. That means for almost 70 years I have had two father figures in my life. I lived with my mom and step-dad. He made a choice that we would not call him dad but Don. But all along, I thought of him as my dad. I wanted to call him dad. To this day I hesitate when making reference to him, even as I typed out this devotion I wondered should I write "dad". I don't like calling him my step-dad. He may not be my biological father, but  is my spiritual father. 

My point? Some of you reading this may have been divorced and live with what the worlds calls a blended family. If you have not already, consider giving those children the freedom to call you dad or mom. It is important - at least it is important to me.  I have a book, What Makes A Man by Coach Bill McCartney (Promise Keepers) that was a gift from "dad" he wrote a note on the inside cover and signed it "Love, Dad" That is the only time he made a concession on the title. I love that book, because of what the author wrote or compiled but because of what dad wrote.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: