Monday, January 16, 2023

By Their Fruits You Will Know Them

"Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires." - Galatians 5:19-24

Some years back we attended a church and we were certain the Lord had called us to be a temporary part of it. They held a monthly "business" meetings where administrative, financial, and ministerial issues were discussed and voted on, when called for.  Martie and I watched and listened since we were "passing though" and not official - voting members of the congregation.

Inevitably, at every meeting, some of the more vocal members would pull out what I call their "pet rocks". Issues or ideas that they felt strongly about. Issues and ideas that the rest of the congregation did not necessarily embrace, but they were, in large part, sheep and would prefer to go along to get along. So the loud and obstinate ruled the day. When two of the vocal ones did not see eye to eye, things could get tense. Like I said, Martie and I just watched. Then one day, I was asked to do the devotion at the beginning of the meeting.  You might have guessed that I used Galatians 5:19-24 as my text. What I called the "fruit of the flesh" and the "fruit of the Spirit". The first description, I made up - the second, of course is in your Bible"

When I explained that "enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy" were a reflection of our old nature and our flesh - what followed was the best behaved business meeting they had for a very long time.  No one wanted to be accused of being unspiritual. What they did not understand is that God sees the heart and what they were holding inside and not saying but thinking revealed their hearts to God, even if hidden from men.  But, my hope was that the Word and Spirit would do their work in them and change their hearts as only God can.

Very often, spiritual attacks come from within our ranks. Why? Because of what I just described. People can have a form of godliness but they are operating in and on the strength of their flesh. Don't let that surprise you and discourage you. It is the nature of things. The important question is - what power  are you depending upon to do what you see as "spiritual/godly activity" in your life? 

“You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit." - Matthew 7:15-17

As far as dealing with others is concerned, think of yourself as a "fruit inspector". Learn to recognize the difference between that which is from the Spirit and that which is from the flesh. I don't judge an apple to be an apple - it is what it is. I can see if that apple is not good to eat. That it is a bad apple and so can you. That is called discernment.  When I was in Haiti I used a mango tree as the example. I would say, "If you tell me you are a mango tree and I come to pick some fruit but I find sour oranges and not mangos, I must believe that you are not a mango tree at all." Why do you need spiritual discernment? That means you must have your spiritual eyes open. That means you must be in step with the Spirit. So you know how to respond - knowing which is of the Spirit and which is of the flesh. Resist the temptation to respond with your flesh when you feel provoked or defensive.  Don't become part of the problem.  Let them see Jesus in you.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: