Tuesday, June 15, 2021

How To Know When God Shows Up

 “When it pleased God…” —Galatians 1:15

“As servants of God, we must learn to make room for Him— to give God “elbow room.” We plan and figure and predict that this or that will happen, but we forget to make room for God to come in as He chooses. Would we be surprised if God came into our meeting or into our preaching in a way we had never expected Him to come? Do not look for God to come in a particular way, but do look for Him. […] Keep your life so constantly in touch with God that His surprising power can break through at any point. Live in a constant state of expectancy, and leave room for God to come in as He decides.” Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest

Do you expect for God to show up for you, personally?  What does that look like in your mind?   A burning bush?  The Shekinah glory as a cloud or pillar of fire?  Or a still small voice?

And he [the Lord] said, ‘Go out and stand on the mount before the Lord.’ And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper. And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, ‘What are you doing here, Elijah?’” – 1 Kings 19:11-13

If you are looking for God to show up .. He is already has.  When we gather to worship, we don’t have to ask the Lord to show up.  His Spirit is in each believer.  People may not be willing to admit it, but they would really prefer that God show up in the wind or earthquake or fire.

I was on staff with Promise Keepers for a time.  I attended the PK Pastor’s conference in 1995 in Atlanta.  There were about 40,000 ministers in the Georgia Dome.  We were asked to be silent and close our eyes to pray as a solemn assembly.  As we all prayed in silence, I peeked.  I confess it!  I was wondering how God would show himself in this glorious event. Perhaps the roof would open and God’s Shekinah Glory would once again appear.  As I looked up, I saw a single dove flying in circles above the crowd.  I closed my eyes, opened them again and the dove was gone.  So I thought – get a grip Charley, you were seeing things.  After the Amen … a man standing next to me said “Hey did you see that Dove flying over the crowd?”  Is it OK if God doesn’t answer your prayer in the way you would like but He assures you that He is still sovereign?  By the way, ever since, Doves have been following me around.  I won’t go into details … but it is not my imagination.  And I thank God for the reminder every time a dove shows up. 

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” –  Jeremiah 29:13

Have you ever known someone who was not really interested in you, but in what you could give them?  Why are you interested in God?  Is He merely a fireman, maybe a divine waiter, or is He the source of life?  He has already given you the greatest gift that can be given – eternal life in His Son.  He has sealed you with His Spirit.  He has blessed you with every spiritual blessing.  (Read Ephesians 1 and 2) That, my friend, is a reason to rejoice no matter what comes your way in this life.

Think about it – Pray about it - Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: