Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Consider Lot’s Wife

 When the morning dawned, the angels urged Lot to hurry, saying, “Arise, take your wife and your two daughters who are here, lest you be consumed in the punishment of the city.” And while he lingered, the men took hold of his hand, his wife’s hand, and the hands of his two daughters, the Lord being merciful to him, and they brought him out and set him outside the city... But his wife looked back behind him…” — Genesis 19:15-16,26

We so often focus on Lot’s wife and her failure, but notice that Lot “lingered” and had to be taken by the hand and led out.  One of the biggest challenges we face in our new life is letting go of the old one. What the Lord says is clear to us, but the things of the world tug at our heart’s devotion. There is a song – “I Left My Heart in San Francisco” that might have been Lot’s wife’s theme song. The things of this world very often are what causes us to balk at obeying what God makes clear to us. Can you think of what it is in your life that you just can’t seem to let go of? Something that you look back at with longing?  You may have distanced yourself physically, but you are still devoted to it. 

Sodom had come under God’s judgement – Lot and his family – called out by God had a choice to align with the Lord or with the culture.  The sons-in-law thought Lot was joking when he said they had to leave Sodom. It was inconceivable – ridiculous.  Made no sense. Lot had gone off of the deep end.  Lot’s wife went with him but not because she was in agreement … and so she looked back with a longing, perhaps with regret that she had left Sodom – even in knowing that the Lord had been merciful to her and her family. 

The story causes me to reflect on my own life and examine my heart. Where do I find my satisfaction? To what am I devoted?  Knowing quite well that I have feet of clay and a heart prone to wander I pray what David prayed.

“‘Show me Your ways, O Lord; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day. Remember, O Lord, Your tender mercies and Your loving kindnesses, For they are from of old. Do not remember the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions; According to Your mercy remember me, For Your goodness’ sake, O Lord.” – Psalm 25:4-7

This has given me pause to consider my ways. I don’t expect to be sinless in this life but I do expect to sin – less. And I find that I need to be reminded from time to time so I can get back on the Path. How about you?

Think about it – Pray about it - Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: