Monday, June 7, 2021

Three Things Every Christian Should Know

Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a harlot? …. do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For “the two,” He says, “shall become one flesh.” …. he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. …. do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s..…” — 1 Corinthians 6:15-20

I have told you in the past that when I listen to a sermon – I don’t try to remember all of what was said – I never have – my guess is that you don’t either. But, what I do try to do is grab ahold of one or two Spiritual truths. Many preachers use three points or alliteration (which is starting the preaching points with a words that starts with the same letter) Something to help you remember what they said. People don’t typically remember speeches or sermons. I would remind myself of that whenever I spoke to formations of soldiers. Keep it short and to the point.  With respect to sermons, I jot notes down when I hear something that stirs my spirit. Well yesterday I was reminded of what Paul wrote to the Corinthians.  They had been taught the fundamentals of the faith – they lived in a culture – had been active participants in a culture that practiced hedonism (engaging in the pursuit of pleasure; sensually self-indulgent). 

Paul reminded them of three things and the sermon reminded me and so I am reminding you. Paul was not being critical but encouraging – the pastor’s motive  who preached the sermon was the same – and in the same manner – my motive is no different.  We all must be reminded from time to time to keep our focus and not be drawn away by our old nature. So what three things?

First. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Our bodies are members of Christ. We don’t just give our hearts to Jesus, (although that is what Christians very often say) but we give all of who we are. It matters what we do. What we do with our bodies reflects our hearts and faith. They are not independent of each other. As Christians we are one with Jesus and the Father through Jesus. The one-ness is a testimony to the a world that is in desperate need of a Savior.

“‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment.” – Matthew 22:37-38

I [Jesus] do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.” – John 17:20-23

Second.  Do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? Sin matters. Participating in what the culture has deemed “OK” when the Word of God is clear that it is not “OK”  is sin. Participating – embracing those things in the culture that are contrary to God’s design and expressed direction makes us one with the culture – the very thing that we were saved from – we once again embrace using some twisted rationale for why it is OK.

Third.  Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you?  Where the Spirit was in the Holy of Holies – the Spirit is now in each of us. When we participate with the culture in its version of the truth, we defile the temple. I am ashamed at how flippant I can be about this truth. Like a little bit of sin does not matter.  A little bit of leaven affects the whole loaf. (Galatians 5:9)

In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.” – Ephesians 1:13-14

This has given me pause to consider my ways. I don’t expect to be sinless in this life but I do expect to sin – less. And I find that I need to be reminded from time to time so I can get back on the Path. How about you?

Think about it – Pray about it - Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: