Monday, May 11, 2015

When Loving Your Is Right, I don't Want to Be Wrong



 
“add to your…brotherly kindness -- love.” —2 Peter 1:5, 7

[…] Initially, when “the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit” (Romans 5:5), it is easy to put Jesus first. But then we must practice the things mentioned in 2 Peter 1 to see them worked out in our lives.[…] And the Holy Spirit reveals to me that God loved me not because I was lovable, but because it was His nature to do so. Now He commands me to show the same love to others by saying, “…love one another as I have loved you” (John 15:12). He is saying, “I will bring a number of people around you whom you cannot respect, but you must exhibit My love to them, just as I have exhibited it to you.” This kind of love is not a patronizing love for the unlovable— it is His love, and it will not be evidenced in us overnight. Some of us may have tried to force it, but we were soon tired and frustrated.[…] I may get irritated because I have to live with an unusually difficult person. But just think how disagreeable I have been with God! Am I prepared to be identified so closely with the Lord Jesus that His life and His sweetness will be continually poured out through Me? […]Love is spontaneous, but it has to be maintained through discipline.” CHAMBERS

If yo think about it, you really don’t mind being loved .. being affirmed that you have worth, in spite of your imperfections, your quirks, well, perhaps things that are genuinely irritating to other people.  But, it is not so easy for you to show love towards others that maybe are very much like you. Suddenly the rules change … what is good for me is not good for them.  They need to be judged and condemned for their failings.  They certainly don’t need to be loved .. they don’t deserve it.  What they need is to be “fixed”.  Once those things that irritate me so stop, well I just might find it within me to at least tolerate them.  

The parable of the unforgiving servant describes a person like that. (Matthew 18:21-35)  He wanted forgiveness for what he had done – or not done – but when it was time to show the same to someone else … he would not.  You might think it is an impossible thing to ask of a person … and you are right … but it is not an impossible thing to ask of a child of God.  God does not tell us to do something in the Bible, knowing that we cannot do it.  He tells us to do something knowing that we can do it by virtue of our relationship with Him and the power of His Spirit in us.  You should not be content with harboring negative feeling toward others in the face of what God has told you to do.  In the face of the love that God has shown towards you.  That does not mean they will change.. or even like you.  It means that you will reflect the love of God in obedience to His Word and for His glory.  It means you will stop being disobedient. ELGIN

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: