Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Who Made You The Judge?

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘Judge not, that you be not judged’ —Matthew 7:1
 
‘Criticism is one of the ordinary activities of people, but in the spiritual realm nothing is accomplished by it. […] The Holy Spirit is the only one in the proper position to criticize, and He alone is able to show what is wrong without hurting and wounding. It is impossible to enter into fellowship with God when you are in a critical mood. Criticism serves to make you harsh, vindictive, and cruel, and leaves you with the soothing and flattering idea that you are somehow superior to others. […]  You must constantly beware of anything that causes you to think of yourself as a superior person. […] If I see the little speck in your eye, it means that I have a plank of timber in my own (see Matthew 7:3-5). Every wrong thing that I see in you, God finds in me. Every time I judge, I condemn myself (see Romans 2:17-24).’ CHAMBERS
 
It is so easy to see faults in other people.  Pastor Greg Laurie spoke at a men’s conference on 1993.  He said that we should not be judges but fruit inspectors.  There is a subtle difference.  Galatians chapter 5 addresses the fruit of the flesh (verses 19-21) and the fruit of the spirit (verses 22-26). You can see plainly what people do .. you can hear what they say … the question is .. how do you respond to it.  If you are judgmental, you will be condemning in your attitude. You know the feeling .. it is almost like righteous anger that wells up in you … you feel justified in the thoughts that race through your mind.  “If they were really a Christian .. they would ….”  “If they were like me … righteous .. they would not do those things …”  You know, those thoughts.  You want them punished for what they have done or said …  But for you .. well, you want forgiveness … “Let’s pretend I never did that.” We are like the unforgiving servant (Matthew 18:21-35)  That servant did not want to be held accountable for his sin, but wanted to hold others accountable for theirs.
 
When someone falls short in your eyes … I am not talking about crimes against humanity … I am talking about the things that you do every day … instead of condemning them .. pray for them .. Show the same grace and mercy that God has shown you .. but first .. ask God to forgive you for the sin you committed in your judgment.
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: