Monday, April 17, 2023

Why We Do What We Do?

"For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,  that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." - Ephesians 3:14-19

I was listening to a sermon this past Sunday. It is the first of a series of sermons on 2 Corinthians. The first chapter verses 3 and 4 and two that we quote very often. They are about the God of all comfort and His expectation that all of us would bring that same comfort to others - but that is a discussion for another time.

I have told you before that when I listen to a sermon, I am listening for what I call "spiritual nuggets". Something that the preacher will say that the Spirit will use to speak to my heart.  Today I could have shouted "Eureka!" with everything that I heard. But today I want to address what the preacher said about Paul's reason for writing any of the letters to any of the churches.

He quoted Ephesians 3:14-19, the verses you just read, as Paul's motivation. And I thought - those are the same reasons that I write what I write. I made a note. When I got up to leave after the service, I turned around and there was a new found friend of mine standing right behind me. He was helping a blind woman out of the sanctuary and I assume to her transportation or bible class. We greeted one another and he said, "Thanks for the morning devotionals, I read them every day." And then he said, "I am praying for you."  Another friend wrote the same day that "your blogs ... bring on a thirst to continue seeking God's word". Three facts that I was not aware of that blessed and encouraged me when I heard and read them. 

My goal is not to impress others with my  writing should not be the reason why I do what I do. Or you either. So what should it be?

First, so that those we are communicating with would be "strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith". Second,  "that they, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge". And third, "that they may be filled with all the fullness of God"

God has prompted me to write because after gifting me to write. He wants to use me, even me, to encourage the Saints (that would be you and others who might read this) and spread the Gospel (that would be to the people around you).  What He wants and expects of me, He wants and expects of all of us are now called the children of God.

You may not be a writer or a preacher or whatever you think is out of your reach as a Christian - but God has a plan and purpose for you. We all have been given a common ministry of being ambassadors for Christ. An ambassador is a representative in a foreign land. That would be us!

"Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God." - 2 Corinthians 5:18-20

Paul was not only encouraging the Saints with his letters, but was spreading the Gospel as an ambassador. And so should we all be. Does the thought of that make you a bit nervous? It should because it is not something that you can do without the power of God. Nevertheless, our calling is clear.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: